none
Outlook using Exchange but send via another smtp server RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if I am not posting to the correct forum.

I have recently moved a client to Office365. They use a CRM application which allows them to email documents to their clients by automatically starting a new email in Outlook from with the application. They then can add attachments to the email, send the message via Outlook and the CRM application waits until the message appears in the 'Sent Items' folder in Outlook and then records in the CRM that the email has been sent and then attaches the email to the client record in the CRM.

The problem is they are in an ADSL service and the transmission of the email can take a long time (sitting in the outbox) and in many cases it is too long for them to wait.

Before moving to Office365 they used to use an on premises Exchange server (in SBS 2003) and so the sending emails with large attachment was never a problem.

I have setup an SMTP server on the Server 2012 Essentials box. Then setup a 'dummy' pop account in Outlook and I can send through that account via the on premises SMTP server but it looks like the CRM is looking in the send items in their Office365 account.

Does anyone know of anyway to use and Exchange account in Outlook (in this case Office2010) but send via another SMTP server and have the email save in the sent items in the Exchange account?

Thanks

Ian

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:43 AM

Answers