none
W10 & Visio 2016 - Problem CAD Drawing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I've encountered a strange problem with Visio16 under Windows10.

When I try to click on "Insert-->CAD Drawing" nothing happen.
    I found out that a GPO set: "Block all unmanaged add-ins".
    When I disable the settings all works fine.

Problem is that I though that the "CAD Drawing" button wasn't an ADDON (I can't even see this under ADD-IN & COM Add-in) - So I cannot even find the progID to set it as an "Allowed Addon".

Someone has a Clue?

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please make sure to save the file as an AutoCAD 2007 .dwg or .dxf file before importing in Visio 2016.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest we can try to start Visio 2016 in safe mode to narrow down if the issue is related to other add-ins which block the CAD Drawing importing. To start safe mode, please try:

Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Visio /safe, press Enter to start it. In safe mode, click Insert > CAD Drawing, confirm if a window prompted for file selection.

Also collect your Visio 2016 version number: Go to File > Account > About Visio.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:08 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

Thanks for the answer.
    I figured out which GPO Settings blocked the opening of the window.

Now I can select the DWG File but I cannot open it:
    ERROR: "Cannot open file. THe file may not be a DWG or DXF file, it may not be in a supported version of the DWG file format, or it may be corrupted. Check the file and try again".

Visio Version is the professional (stand-alone) : VISIO 2016 MSO (16.0.4549.1000) 64-bit

Thanks in advice for help.

• Edited by TDA1990 Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:32 AM mod
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please make sure to save the file as an AutoCAD 2007 .dwg or .dxf file before importing in Visio 2016.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:15 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

I've already done it - and it works.
    But I though VISIO 2016 supported Autocad till version 2017.

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

I've already done it - and it works.
    But I though VISIO 2016 supported Autocad till version 2017.

Hi,

If you are a subscriber of Visio Pro for Office 365, you can import a .dwg or .dxf file from AutoCAD versions 2007 through 2017. If you are not a subscriber, make sure to save the file as an AutoCAD 2007 .dwg or .dxf file before importing.

Your Visio version is not a subscriber version.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

If my reply is helpful, would you mind to mark it as answer to help other users searched this thread for a similar issue?

Thanks for your understanding. And welcome to Microsoft Visio forum for more discussion if you have any other questions :)

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Monday, October 16, 2017 11:24 AM