none
SharePoint 2013 Search service topology change

Question

• Hi there,

We are supporting SharePoint 2013 onpremises  VM servers hosted for document content management.

We have two dedicated search servers (Server1, Server2) with indexing items 15 Million and indexing data growing with increasing content in content database

Server1 is hosting primary index component and server2 is managing index replica with only one index partition and below is search topology.

Both servers are running out of disk space and our infra team is unable to provide the additional space due to VM administration capacity limits. 

Our plan is to remove server2 from the SP farm so that search index replica will not be available and use the server 2 disk space for server1 (through infra management) .

We compromise with the reducing the high availability of search service to business. 

Is  this approach recommended with modifying the search topology to only server1 and decommission server2?

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi AK SPAdmin.

I'd rather suggest you to create a new topology having the index split in 2 partitions: you'll save disk space and preserve high availability.
    Is this option feasible?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Wednesday, July 4, 2018 2:41 PM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your sharing.

You could mark Luigi's reply as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Ethan Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 6, 2018 1:46 AM
  • Hi Luigi,

Thanks for the response.

Currently, I have  one disk hosting index data with one index partition and same replicated in backup server.

Only 130 GB free space left in drive hosting index data.  

Can i go with index partition with this limited space without increasing the additional space. 

Search service has 15 Million items in index as of now.

Please elaborate your solution or share any reference link.

Friday, July 6, 2018 5:03 AM