Exchange server whitespace issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi we have exchange server 2007 and I am deleting lots of mailboxes.  As this removes all items in each mailbox from a mailbox database by deleting the mailbox should it not free up white space in the database.  I have done this before.  Cannot move the database it is too big and we dont have any free disk space to do this yet.  I have set the deleted items retention time back to 5 days and the retention time for mailboxes to zero.  Would the overnight maintenance free up the white space on the mailbox store when I do this.  Ive done it in the past and I thought it did.  This is urgent thanks so can someone help me please.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:49 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:10 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Ideally it should do the trick.

Maintaining Mailbox Databases and Public Folder Databases

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Let say if the your maintenance mode is setup for night or if 24x7 (i think exchange 2010 by default). For 24x7 operation it will do it when the server is idle and for nightly it is only only nightly. So let say if it run 12:00 to 4 am it will try to overcome the white space within that time and what is left will be done on the next schedule.

read thisfrom the exchange team artile

A latency throttle of 100ms When the system is overloaded, database defragmentation will start punting defragmentation work. Punted work will get executed the next time the database goes through that same operational pattern. There's nothing that remembers what defragmentation work was punted and goes back and executes it once the system has more resources.

so when it run next time it runs all over.

you should increase more space on the server to avoid any future issue

Where Technology Meets Talent

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:42 AM

All replies

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:03 AM
  • Ideally it should do the trick.

Maintaining Mailbox Databases and Public Folder Databases

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Let say if the your maintenance mode is setup for night or if 24x7 (i think exchange 2010 by default). For 24x7 operation it will do it when the server is idle and for nightly it is only only nightly. So let say if it run 12:00 to 4 am it will try to overcome the white space within that time and what is left will be done on the next schedule.

read thisfrom the exchange team artile

A latency throttle of 100ms When the system is overloaded, database defragmentation will start punting defragmentation work. Punted work will get executed the next time the database goes through that same operational pattern. There's nothing that remembers what defragmentation work was punted and goes back and executes it once the system has more resources.

so when it run next time it runs all over.

you should increase more space on the server to avoid any future issue

Where Technology Meets Talent

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:42 AM
  • Hi Kaddie00,

Any updates?

Frank Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Thanks everyone you put me on the right track.  I was too impatient waiting for the overnight processes.  All is good now got back heaps of white space thanks Kaddie

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 10:01 PM