Search for "Checked Out" documents RRS feed

• Question

• Searching the forum didn't quite answer my question. Sorry if I missed it.

Nothing new but - I have several users who, when they upload a document, must enter metadata much of which is required. If the required metadata is not entered (usually by clicking "Cancel" during the upload process), the document is uploaded anyway but is left as being checked out. This quite often escapes the notice of the person who uploaded the document.

Rather than having to inspect each library manually for checked out documents (a very time consuming process), a simple search for documents that are currently checked out would quickly reveal where they are so that corrective measures can be taken to more quickly and efficiently.

Can this type of search be done and, if so, how can I set it up?

Alternatively, if by clicking "Cancel" the entire upload process can be aborted where no document is uploaded, this would also solve the problem.

Thanks.

Friday, January 24, 2014 5:29 PM

Answers

• A search may not work as the indexer in 2010 only indexes checked in and published documents.  Typically this won't be a problem as previous editions will show up but clearly for new uploads this won't work.

I'd think about creating a dashboard to view this at a glance.  Build a web part page and surface each library on it.  You can create a column that filters on the check-out column (if name is not empty) and have that as your launch view.

You can additionally set-up an daily summar alert on this view so that any item which falls under it is emailed to you.

Hope that helps.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by star.wars Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:22 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 5:38 PM