none
90 day evalutation RRS feed

• Question

• i installed a the 90 day evaluation copy and i love it. i have it set up just the way i want it and i dont want to have to do a fresh install. it has not been 10 days so i have not activated it yet. my question is, if i go out and by windows 7 enterprise edition and just put that key into the windows i have installed now and activate it then, will that work?
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:05 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but that cannot be done.  Windows 7 'Enterprise Edition' is a product available only to corporate volume licensing customers.  The retail product equivalent is Windows 7 Ultimate, which contains the exact same feature set but which uses 'retail' activation mechanisms rather than volume licensing activation mechanisms.

If you purchase a 'retail' or an 'OEM' license version of windows 7, the Windows 7 Enterprise trial install will NOT be able to accept the associated product install key.

Sorry.  You'll need to perform a new install when you eventually purchase a valid Windows 7 license.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:02 AM

All replies

• Sorry, but that cannot be done.  Windows 7 'Enterprise Edition' is a product available only to corporate volume licensing customers.  The retail product equivalent is Windows 7 Ultimate, which contains the exact same feature set but which uses 'retail' activation mechanisms rather than volume licensing activation mechanisms.

If you purchase a 'retail' or an 'OEM' license version of windows 7, the Windows 7 Enterprise trial install will NOT be able to accept the associated product install key.

Sorry.  You'll need to perform a new install when you eventually purchase a valid Windows 7 license.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Won't work but just for kicks I will try it give you my result. Check back in a week.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Hello Wombat,

Windows 7 enterprise version used the Volume License Key activation and such license is very expensive. You cannot enter a license key during installation when installing Windows 7 Enterprise. It would automatically try to locate a KMS(Key Management Service) in your network after installation or you can chose to enter the MAK(Multiple activation key) and the system will no longer look for a KMS.

For more details, please refer to the following hyperlink.

Volume license key

Product Activation and Key Information

For the home user, I suggest you choose one product from Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate version. If so, I feel say to say that you need to clean install the system and reinstall all applications. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Andy

Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:05 AM