Intel® System Management Software MP RRS feed

• Question

• Quick question.   Has anyone used the MP from Intel to monitor server hardware from Intel.   I don't have a SCOM sandbox as of yet to play in and would have to install it directly into production OpsMgr system.   Don't need to cause anymore problem then I already have, but if it works with a little TLC then the pay back would be worth doing.

Thanks

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17675
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hi

For a test (sandpit as opposed to UAT \ OAT) environment I'd install all components on one box - that includes database and datawarehouse. Give it 8 GB of RAM and some SAN space for the SQL databases and that should be fine. I run the databases fairly small (3 days for database and 2 months for data warehouse). I then have a collection of about 10 virtual machines including a secondary management server with a collection of apps which I can start \ stop as needed. It depends on what is available to you to some extent.

The advantage I find is really with scripting - I can set things up and play with them in test to make sure they do what I want and then export \ import across to production.

One question to consider is whether to have this isolated (which I do) or as part of your AD infrastructure. The advantage of a completely seperate Test AD Forest is that you can really play with it to your hearts content .... but the disadvantage is that you'll not necesarily see the impact of the MPs in your environment. The advantages are pretty much the same !

I don't find that it takes long to set up such an environment and run with just eval software (you can get 240 days out of a windows 2008 eval!). And after a while a Test environment can get so played with that a rebuild is quite useful.

Good Luck

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• I dont remember that I have used it, sorry. But you should really try to get yourself a ops mgr test environment. You can start of small with a workstation with a virtual ops mgr environment, then multihome some of your production machines to get live data. Importing MPs direct into production is not recommended.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Anders

What are licensing cost to run a second test OpsMgr environment?

I am in the process of getting more resources for our virtual hosts.   So I will add that to my ever growing list of things that need to be done.

Would you recommend for a sand box setup to install everything on single VM.   Might not be the fastest running system, but it would be the easiest installation.   I would point the database to one of our existing SQL 2005 developer servers to reduce the load on the VM.

Thanks for your input.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Hi

For a test (sandpit as opposed to UAT \ OAT) environment I'd install all components on one box - that includes database and datawarehouse. Give it 8 GB of RAM and some SAN space for the SQL databases and that should be fine. I run the databases fairly small (3 days for database and 2 months for data warehouse). I then have a collection of about 10 virtual machines including a secondary management server with a collection of apps which I can start \ stop as needed. It depends on what is available to you to some extent.

The advantage I find is really with scripting - I can set things up and play with them in test to make sure they do what I want and then export \ import across to production.

One question to consider is whether to have this isolated (which I do) or as part of your AD infrastructure. The advantage of a completely seperate Test AD Forest is that you can really play with it to your hearts content .... but the disadvantage is that you'll not necesarily see the impact of the MPs in your environment. The advantages are pretty much the same !

I don't find that it takes long to set up such an environment and run with just eval software (you can get 240 days out of a windows 2008 eval!). And after a while a Test environment can get so played with that a rebuild is quite useful.

Good Luck

Graham

View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by StuartR Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:33 PM