How to save/restore multi-monitor extended desktop config? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have an ATI card configured for 3 monitors. Each monitor is set to 1280x720 and the total desktop area (desktop is extended to all monitors) is 3840. That seems to work fine as long as none of the monitors gets disconnected. When one of the monitors is temporarily disconnected then settings on the remaining monitors change to something rather random - not even close to what I had them configured initially. When I re-connect the previously disconnected monitor then the whole setup is still messed up. The worst thing is that after re-booting the machine the 'messed-up' settings seem to be preserved and I need to manually re-configure each monitors. Is there a way I could save the settings and then restore them during windows 7 bootup? Any other ways of dealing with the above? Thanks, Bogdan
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:58 PM

Answers

• Is there a way I could save the settings and then restore them during windows 7 bootup? Any other ways of dealing with the above?

As far as I know, the only way to save settings is to use a third-party tools.

My personal recommendation is Actual Multiple Monitors. It is a most powerful utility among others and it works fine under Windows 7.

In Actual Multiple Monitors you are able to create several profiles and quickly select the needed one by clicking Win+P hotkey.

• Marked as answer by Bogdan859 Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:35 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Bogdan859,

Please first try the suggestions in the following articles and see if the issue can be resolved:

Set up multiple monitors

Troubleshoot multiple monitor problems

Multiple monitors: frequently asked questions

However, if the issue persists, please reinstall the display card driver to see if the issue can be resolved:

1.     Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2.     Double click to expand the Display adapters.

3.     Right click the display card and click "Uninstall".

4.     Restart the computer.

5.     Go to the manufacturer's website to download the latest display card driver, or run Windows Update to see if the driver can be downloaded and installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Linda,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have not been able to solve the problem yet.  I do have the most recent drivers installed.

As I said, the problem occurs only if I disconnect one of the monitors.  So, I do not have any issues with the configuration as long as all monitors are connected (they don't have to be on).  I can probably tolerate the fact that things get temporarily messed up when a monitor gets disconnected.  I'm even willing to go through rebooting when this happens.  Unfortunately that does not awlays fix the problem.

Are aware of any way of saving the current display configuration and the restoring it at bootup time?  For example, is there a way I could save the current display config, manually change its settings (e.g. resolution, bits-per-pixels, etc.), and then recall the previously saved config without manually re-configuring it?  If such a method exists then it would solve my problems.

Thanks.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Is there a way I could save the settings and then restore them during windows 7 bootup? Any other ways of dealing with the above?

As far as I know, the only way to save settings is to use a third-party tools.

My personal recommendation is Actual Multiple Monitors. It is a most powerful utility among others and it works fine under Windows 7.

In Actual Multiple Monitors you are able to create several profiles and quickly select the needed one by clicking Win+P hotkey.

• Marked as answer by Bogdan859 Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:35 PM
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:59 AM
  • A kiss command line tool that will save your config (free for private use) is wsdisplaysettings. It saves current config to file and makes restoring multiple configs easy. Available from http://wizardsoft.nl/admintools/admintools.html . 
    • Proposed as answer by Anon3424 Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anon3424 Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:51 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:41 AM
  • have a similar problem, but with 5 monitors. If I reboot and the monitors are off, Windows is really bad at handling that. Layout all hosed.

When the monitors are setup, I am thinking saving the proper part of the registry that had the settings to a .reg file, then later restoring that to the registry will do the trick.

Mark.

Saturday, March 14, 2020 5:52 AM
  • WS Display Settings (WizardSoft) to the rescue. Has also a very useful mouse shortcuts to instantly move or resize program Windows.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:22 AM