Outlook 365 1808 - Autodiscover with postfix/dovecot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

The situation is :

• my own mail server is under Postfix, Dovecot and apache2 for the autodiscover URL. Mail server is set up for TLS only (465, 993 and 995)
    • my own domain is controlled by myself (le SRV record is setted up)
    • Mail client is Outlook 365 with the last update (1808)

The first issue is when I try to add a new mail account, I'm not asking for the password and Outlook returns a error and I have to choose POP or IMAP account type.

Then, the second issue is coming. It found the autodiscover.xml file, but it only read the IMAP or the POP section, never the SMTP. And it always says : there are an error with SMTP server.

Here is my autodiscover.xml file : 

<Autodiscover xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/responseschema/2006">
    <Response xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/outlook/responseschema/2006a">
    <Account>
    <AccountType>email</AccountType>
    <Action>settings</Action>
    <Protocol>
    <Type>IMAP</Type>
    <TTL>1</TTL>
    <Server>imap.domain.tld</Server>
    <Port>993</Port>
    <DomainRequired>on</DomainRequired>
    <DomainName>domain.tld</DomainName>
    <SPA>off</SPA>
    <SSL>on</SSL>
    <AuthRequired>on</AuthRequired>
    </Protocol>
    </Account>
    <Account>
    <Protocol>
    <Type>POP3</Type>
    <TTL>1</TTL>
    <Server>pop.domain.tld</Server>
    <Port>995</Port>
    <SPA>off</SPA>
    <SSL>on</SSL>
    </Protocol>
    </Account>
    <Account>
    <Protocol>
    <Type>SMTP</Type>
    <TTL>1</TTL>
    <Server>smtp.domain.tld</Server>
    <Port>465</Port>
    <SPA>off</SPA>
    <SSL>on</SSL>
    </Protocol>
    </Account>
    </Response>
    </Autodiscover>

Does someone can help me ?

Thanks in advance

• Moved by Perry-Pan Monday, September 17, 2018 5:19 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Do you mean that you want to add your email account from Postfix as an Exchange account in Outlook? Based on my knowledge, a Microsoft Exchange account is a work or school email account running with Exchange server. Also, Autodiscover service works for Exchange account.

I’m afraid that you need to manually configure this account as a POP/IMAP account.

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I’m not familiar with Postfix. You could contact them for details about how to add the account to Outlook.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 17, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Just check if the reply above is helpful to you. Have you tried adding your account as a POP/IMAP account?

Please feel free to tell us if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Maybe I haven't explain correctly my problem. I don't want to add my account as an exchange account. It's a regular POP/IMAP account, but it's possible to have an autodiscover which give settings to Outlook. Maybe this link helps you undestand what I want : email-autodiscover (in mail directory, you'll find the xml which is readding by Outlook).

So, when I add an account in Outlook, I select POP/IMAP account, it ask me for email and password and at this step, it's trying different autodiscover methods. And I want to complete this step with my xml. For example, it works for a gmail account. I don't need to set Google imap server or smtp server to add my account in Outlook.

Hope I was more understandable in despite of my english.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 9:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

When connecting to your account, server will return the SMTP setting to Outlook client. So, you have to check if the SMTP setting is correct on the server.

Besides, if you want to point Outlook to use your XML file. We could set a registry value to realize this.

(Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

Please refer to this article about how to back up and restore the registry in Windows)

The path is: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Autodiscover

STRING_value: <your_namespace> = path to XML file

Where “<your namespace>” would be the namespace that Outlook will be querying for (for example, corkandale.com), and “path to xml” is the path to file.

Here is a link for your reference.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, October 1, 2018 8:23 AM
    Friday, September 21, 2018 5:28 AM