windows vista home premium 64bit activation key RRS feed

• Question

• need help

i recently had a brand new build and installed windows vista home premium 64 bit. two days later the motherboard was defective and my system would not start.  i ended up exchanging the motherboard with the same exact one.  everything is running fine but now, a day later, windows is asking for the activation key.  i entered the exact same activation key on my DVD and it gave me a message of "this key is already in use".  it keeps asking me the same question over and over again and the other choice are to "buy an activation key".

can someone please help me? it's really frustrating.  i've had this DVD since February and this is the first time it's giving me this problem.  im pretty sure it's because i changed the motherboard, but it's the exact same one. so my question is, is there a way to stop this OS from asking me the activation key without doing a clean install? it's really such a hassle to re-install everything and it's my last resort if there's no other way.

thanks.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 11:11 PM

Answers

• You can reactivate your Windows Vista installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:10 PM