none
mdt 2013 task sequence does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Just looking for some help, i created a task seq to install Win 10 pro and a handle of apps, Adobe Reader, SEP, Citrix, etc.  If i pxe boot the device (Lenvovo N23) i can choose the task sequence and it will image and install all of the applications in my app bundle.  But if i usb boot into WinPE and access our MDT environment, i select the same task sequence, the device will image with Win 10 Pro but the task seq will not start.

I tried to run litetouch.vbs from the startup folder and nothing happens.  On another device i can run the application bundle with no issues.

I can take the same usb boot device and image a Surface Pro 4 from start-to-finish with not issues.

I couldn't find anything in the logs on the local machine or on the mdt server

Any help would be appreciated

mdt 2013 update 2 6.3.8330.1000

Lenovo N23

Win 10 pro 1607

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:41 PM

All replies

• Please post your BDD.log and I will be more than happy to take a look.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:22 PM
  • thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pvcaw9v7k9lh0g5/AADDrpfiZ_1h0y3BXW496U2fa?dl=0

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 4:58 PM
  • Just to clarify - the task sequence does start and will format your HDD, layer down the image, apply drivers and WinRE, inject the boot loader and updated unattend.xml and then reboot the machine. Then Windows should enter the specialize phase, initialize drivers and so on... I am assuming that after first auto logon litetouch.vbs is not being executed?

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:08 PM
  • Yes, that is correct.  This scenario only happens when i usb boot into WinPE, if I PXE boot the device the same task sequence completes.  I verified my USB boot device has all the necessary drivers for WinPE and the devices has all of its drivers.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:36 PM
  • Is your USB device still plugged in after the specialize phase is completed and Windows boots for the first time and performs auto logon?

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Yes, i have tried usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  i also tried disconnecting the drive, rebooting.  the machine will auto login and prompt me to insert installation media.  litetouch will not run.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:44 AM
  • What is the actual message that you get when it prompts for the insert installation media. To me it looks like you made a offline/standalone installation media for your USB. Is the boot.wim the same as the one on your USB?
    Friday, September 29, 2017 5:21 PM
  • What happens when you run Litetouch.vbs manually? Usually a MININT folder should appear in the root of your C drive and there should be a BDD.log

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, September 29, 2017 7:09 PM
  • sorry for the delay, i get "please reinsert the media needed to complete the installation".  i created just a boot.wim to our mdt deployment share with all network/storage drives.  Once techs are connected to our deployment share they will choose the necessary task sequence, Surface Pro 3/4's.  then the process would be to image the machine and install applications from an App bundle.  Yes the boot.wim on our deployment share is the same on my usb drive.
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 12:57 AM
  • after the machine images it autologins into the desktop and that's it, nothing happens, if i run litetouch.vbs from a command prompt it just proceeds to the next cmd line, nothing runs if i "right-click" run as admin.

thanks for help.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:01 AM
  • found these errors in the log files.

FindFile: The file LTIBootstrap.vbs could not be found in any standard locations. LTIApply 10/2/2017 4:35:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply: Invalid procedure call or argument (5) LTIApply 10/2/2017 4:35:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Event 41002 sent: ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply: Invalid procedure call or argument (5) LTIApply 10/2/2017 4:35:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Command completed, return code = -2147467259 LiteTouch 10/2/2017 4:35:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005 LiteTouch 10/2/2017 4:35:41 PM 0 (0x0000)
    Event 41014 sent: Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005 LiteTouch 10/2/2017 4:35:42 PM 0 (0x0000)

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 1:35 AM
  • I would need to see full BDD.log. However, did you import Surface deiver pack into MDT and are you applying device drivers during TS?

Cheers,
    Anton

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:28 AM
  • I  created a selection profile and also pointed the Ts to point directly to the drivers folder.  i uploaded another bdd.log file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjgec0neg11ffg6/BDD.LOG?dl=0

• Edited by las623 Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Looking at your BDD.log, there is a small issue of LTIBootstrap.vbs not being accessible

FindFile: The file LTIBootstrap.vbs could not be found in any standard locations.

This file is required to run Litetouch.vbs after your system comes online for the first time. Is the file present in the scripts folder of your media?

According to your BDD.log, it may be missing:

File \\SERVERNAME\DEPLOYMENTSHARE\Scripts\LTIBootstrap.vbs does not exist in Source.

As a side note, you aren't, by any chance, still using 1507 ADK? I am seeing references to build 10.0.10240 in your BDD.log. Keep in mind that deploying Windows 10 1703 is not supported using older ADKs - it might work for you, but there is no guarantee for that.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:54 AM
  • I saw the file was missing during late night troubleshooting, i copied ltiapply and bootstrap from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates". My Lenovo N23 TS is NOW working on a VM, i will try on a physical machine when i get to work.

turns out another sys admin ran litetouch.vbs on the mdt server, after further digging it seems litetouch will remove certain files after it runs, looks like bootstrap was one of them.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:02 PM
  • That might have been caused by the LTICleanup process. Shouldn't be the case though.

Either way, glad I could help. If your question has been answered, please mark the helpful post as an answer in this thread so that other community members who encounter the similar issue as yours can find the solution here more efficiently.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Still no luck, now its not working in a VM environment.  here are both bdd.logs.  can you please look?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xu6igr4srok5n4t/BDD%20-%20N23%20Not%20Working.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2cun9qxsdu0x4gk/BDD%20-%20VM%20Not%20Working.log?dl=0

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:22 PM