I have a report from WSUS:

Computer Name	Needed	Installed Failed	No Status
    vrprdssvr1	17	8507       14			0
    fpgisiweb	25	8497	   13			3
    vmpwmtmp	21	8505	   12			0
    vopairmagnetapp	17	8509	   12			0
    sopentsql1	50	8475	   10			3
    sopbldbkmobile3	93	8380	    6			59

When I go to the server itself and launch the Windows Updates "Check Updates" nothing is showing they are green Up-to-date.

Even if I try to launch Check Updates from Microsoft online I get few patches but nothing above 5 so far!!!

Why this discrepancy?

an example 

The report is showing needed 568

the windows updates from Microsoft is proposing 2 importants and 6 optionals!!! ==> 8 versus 568!!!

Thanks,

Dom

Security / System Center Configuration Manager Current Branch / SQL

• Edited by Felyjos Monday, March 23, 2020 8:06 PM
    Monday, March 23, 2020 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since this thread has not received any progress for a long time, the following summary is provided for future follow-up reference:

• Issue Symptom
      WSUS console needs to update number is not consistent with the number of computer actual needs
    • Possible Cause
      WSUS console shows that clients needed updates that contain superseded updates, unapproved updates, actual needs updates, and expired updates.
    • Troubleshooting Steps so far
      I recommend first rejecting some of the replaced updates.
    • Next Step
      Waiting for reply.

Regards,

Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your previous description, the WSUS report inconsistent with the updates available on the server may be due to a number of reasons. I analyze that the client did not detect the corresponding update because some updates may be superseded. Please consider adding the "Supersedence" column to all updated views in WSUS and sorting based on this information:

You can decline the below superseded updates for the following flags:

• Blue square in the middle: this update has been superseded by another update and superseded another update as well, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.
    • Blue square in the right below corner: this update has been superseded by another update, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.

After you have done so, the number of updates reported by WSUS may still differ from the number of updates required by the client. This is normal. Updates reported by the WSUS console include not only updates that need to be installed, but also updates that are superseded, unapproved, and expired updates. As long as the normal approval client needs the update, the client can download and install normally.

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your previous description, the WSUS report inconsistent with the updates available on the server may be due to a number of reasons. I analyze that the client did not detect the corresponding update because some updates may be superseded. Please consider adding the "Supersedence" column to all updated views in WSUS and sorting based on this information:

You can decline the below superseded updates for the following flags:

• Blue square in the middle: this update has been superseded by another update and superseded another update as well, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.
    • Blue square in the right below corner: this update has been superseded by another update, this is an example of an update you may want to clean.

After you have done so, the number of updates reported by WSUS may still differ from the number of updates required by the client. This is normal. Updates reported by the WSUS console include not only updates that need to be installed, but also updates that are superseded, unapproved, and expired updates. As long as the normal approval client needs the update, the client can download and install normally.

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita 

Thank you let me try to add the column and see how it impacts the report...

Dom

Security / System Center Configuration Manager Current Branch / SQL

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

Regards,
    Rita

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

Since this thread has not received any progress for a long time, the following summary is provided for future follow-up reference:

• Issue Symptom
      WSUS console needs to update number is not consistent with the number of computer actual needs
    • Possible Cause
      WSUS console shows that clients needed updates that contain superseded updates, unapproved updates, actual needs updates, and expired updates.
    • Troubleshooting Steps so far
      I recommend first rejecting some of the replaced updates.
    • Next Step
      Waiting for reply.

Regards,

Rita

Wednesday, April 15, 2020 7:40 AM