Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 not installing on Vista Ultimate x64 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install VS 2005 R2 Sp1 on my Vista Ultimate x64 machine. I start the installation and when it is nearly finished, Windows Installer pops up an error. After closing the error message, Virtual Server says it installed succussfully. However, when starting the Web Admin site I get a File Type not know dialogue box.

I have tried both downloads from Microsoft, the original and the supposed fix for Vista x64. Both do this. I am really wanting to run Virtual Server on this machine. Virtual PC will not allow 64 bit OS.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

To make the issue clear, could you please provide us the following information:

1.    The exact error message appeared during installation

2.    The error message you received when starting the Web Admin site.

Capture a screenshot

==============

1)   Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2)   Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3)   In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4)   The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5)   Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the screenshots and share their URLs with us.

Once get the information, we will perform some further researches and provide you some suggestions.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, September 4, 2009 11:41 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to see how everything is going. If you have any questions or concerns on the recent information I've provided you, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks. Have a good day!

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:20 AM