none
Project Data Goes Missing (Tasks all go blank) - Corrupt - But Why? RRS feed

• Question

• We have had 2 projects become corrupt (and quite large ones) and cannot figure out why.

It seems half the tasks lose their information.

These lines stay in the project and in the database (so have TaskGUIDs) but the names, dates and everything all become (effectively) null.

The first time this happened with 1 project thought it was a one off, so entered the data back in, but the corruption happened again.

Now this has happened with another project.

I'm not totally sure of where to look. The PM claims they haven't done anything to cause it and I'm not really sure where to start as I don't know when it happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• At least according to this thread, and Brian Smith from Microsoft, they narrowed it down to having multiple leveles of undo in action.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/8fc742d9-3909-4cb8-afd3-9d29967464e3/

Apparently it was fixed in the August 2011 CU. 

Make sure you have both the Client and Server versions patched up.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:03 PM
  • Loko, I cant tell you why the corruption occur, but I encourage you to log it with the Microsoft support. The project team will need to be made aware of the issues of schedule coprruption, especially because it does happen to often for my taste. But in order to rectify it, it is important that the team from Microsoft gets as many reproducable errors as they can. That will allow them to stabalise the schedule format better and therefore will have less (or utlimately no) corruption anymore.

Please log with the support team from Microsoft.

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 19, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Create a custom table with  ID and Name column only. Apply the Table and see the behavior.

-Roop

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Loko, I cant tell you why the corruption occur, but I encourage you to log it with the Microsoft support. The project team will need to be made aware of the issues of schedule coprruption, especially because it does happen to often for my taste. But in order to rectify it, it is important that the team from Microsoft gets as many reproducable errors as they can. That will allow them to stabalise the schedule format better and therefore will have less (or utlimately no) corruption anymore.

Please log with the support team from Microsoft.

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com

Hi,

Thanks yes, this happened Friday afternoon so thought I'd post here over the weekend and if no-one could help was planning to raise a call today.

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Create a custom table with  ID and Name column only. Apply the Table and see the behavior.

-Roop

Not quite sure what you mean...?
    Monday, August 20, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Sometimes, the MS Project Professional view may not load certain fields information. Hence,to isolate the issue, create a table with minimum fields or columns by following steps below:

1. Open Project Professional.
    2. Open the project plan which is corrupted.
    3. Goto View tab. Click on Tables | More Tables | New.
    4. Give a name to the Table(say Test). Add 2 fields named ID and Name in the Field name column. Click Ok. Click Apply.

Check if the task names appear in the applied table or does it still shows blank lines.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Sometimes, the MS Project Professional view may not load certain fields information. Hence,to isolate the issue, create a table with minimum fields or columns by following steps below:

1. Open Project Professional.
    2. Open the project plan which is corrupted.
    3. Goto View tab. Click on Tables | More Tables | New.
    4. Give a name to the Table(say Test). Add 2 fields named ID and Name in the Field name column. Click Ok. Click Apply.

Check if the task names appear in the applied table or does it still shows blank lines.

Still blank lines.

The underlying data (i.e. the SQL tables, EPM_Task) also shows blank titles, although other data still exists (Task UID, Project UID, Start Date, End Date).

Thanks,

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Is the Project client and server patched with latest CU? Because a similar issue was fixed with Aug Cu 2011.

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:37 AM
  • Is the Project client and server patched with latest CU? Because a similar issue was fixed with Aug Cu 2011.

14.0.6117.5002     2012-04-02 13:16:31.423
    14.0.6114.5000     2012-03-14 17:18:23.333
    14.0.6027.1000     2012-02-09 17:10:07.633

I believe the latest CU (6117.5002) is Feb 2012.

Project Professional is 14.0.6106.5005 but I am unsure which this is.

- EDIT -

Roopkumar I think you may have solved it. I thought we had latest versions on both Server and Client, seems we may not on Client. I'll give it a go. Prasanna also suggested the same!

• Edited by Lokolo Monday, August 20, 2012 11:10 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Hi Lokolo. I have come accross this issue many times and yes Prasana and your above post is spot on. The good news is this issue is caused by the Project Professional Client so updating to the latest version of MS Project Professional will prevnt the issue from re-occuring. Unfortunately this does not resolve your current issue. Only way to get this back in the past is to perform an administrative backup. Revert back to a previous version containing the correct taks names. Save that file locally. Either make you recent changes manually or if lots of data has been lost, restore back to the current version and use the local (containing task names) copy as a comparison. Project professional also provides you with funtionality to compare the two project schedules together to determine the differences. Compare Projects under the project tab.

Regards,

Piet Remen
    http://pietremen.blogspot.com.au

Monday, August 20, 2012 11:52 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. I made sure that I have the latest service pack installed, specifically 14.0.7106.5003.

This is VERY annoying, causing me to loose several days trying to recover my information.

Any idea when a fix will be available?

Saturday, November 9, 2013 4:09 AM
  • Not sure if this is a clue, but in my case, many of the task names that were blank had their section collapsed. For the time beings, I decided to expand all sections before saving the project.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 2:30 PM
  • I had the same issue, and glad that I stumbled upon what you did. Thank you for posting your solution! 

Friday, August 11, 2017 10:35 PM