WSUS 3.0 Products and Classifications Question RRS feed

• Question

• Summary:

My question pertains to Options > Automatic Approvals. When setting up a new rule it allows you to select Classifications and Products that you may not have selected in the Products and Classifications setting. How are these handled? If drivers is not selected as a Classification and is selected in the Rule does the WSUS Server synchronize this classification of updates? Or does the WSUS server only synchronize and distribute the updates that were selected in the Global setting?

Thankyou in advance!

(Running Windows Server 2008 R2 WSUS 3.0)

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hi MisterMagooCT,

>If drivers is not selected as a Classification and is selected in the Rule does the WSUS Server synchronize this classification of updates?

Automatic Approval is not related with the sync options directly.

For example, in Products and Classifications, I checked "Produce" with "Window 7", in "Classifications", I checked "Critical Updates", "Security Updates", then I sync the updates from MU or upstream server, these updates will show up in WSUS server;

In Automatically Approvals, I created a rule "When an updates is in", I check all "Classifications", then all "Critical Updates", "Security Updates" will be approved, if I only check "Critical Updates", then only critical updates will be approved.

So, Automatically Approvals only approve updates that have been synced, it won't affect the "Product & Classifications" when you sync.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MisterMagooCT Wednesday, March 16, 2016 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:03 AM

All replies

• Hi MisterMagooCT,

>If drivers is not selected as a Classification and is selected in the Rule does the WSUS Server synchronize this classification of updates?

Automatic Approval is not related with the sync options directly.

For example, in Products and Classifications, I checked "Produce" with "Window 7", in "Classifications", I checked "Critical Updates", "Security Updates", then I sync the updates from MU or upstream server, these updates will show up in WSUS server;

In Automatically Approvals, I created a rule "When an updates is in", I check all "Classifications", then all "Critical Updates", "Security Updates" will be approved, if I only check "Critical Updates", then only critical updates will be approved.

So, Automatically Approvals only approve updates that have been synced, it won't affect the "Product & Classifications" when you sync.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MisterMagooCT Wednesday, March 16, 2016 5:36 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Anne,

Thank you for the response. I think I understand what you are saying and I had a feeling it worked this way. The Products and Classifications is a global setting to what is downloaded from the MU server, and if the rule has more options selected it will not go and get them from the MU server.

Thanks,

-Magoo

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 5:36 PM