Microsoft Exchange 2007: What files should be backed up to recovery from a Mailbox Database failure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

What files should I include in the Windows Server Backup of my Exchange server?

I ran into a issue yesterday where the mailbox database dismounted and I have to repair and defrag the database with the built-in ese tool and recovery it successfully, however it scared the living crap out of me thinking I lost exchange. 

However for the future, I'd like to have a backup of the database, but I'm not sure what files need to be backed up besides the database .esb and .stm files.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

This article should have everything covered for you: Using Windows Server Backup to Back Up and Restore Exchange Data

Cheers, Steve

Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 PM
  • What version of Windows Server are you running?

If you have the space, you could back up the entire server with the Windows backup software in 2008 and 2008 R2.

You can restore parts of the backup as needed (just the database).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, April 12, 2013 1:44 PM
  • PCG, just curious, are you not doing any sort of backup right now?  If not, how are you getting your DB log files cleaned up? If you are doing backups, then what software are you currently using?

James

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:37 PM
  • What version of Windows Server are you running?

If you have the space, you could back up the entire server with the Windows backup software in 2008 and 2008 R2.

You can restore parts of the backup as needed (just the database).

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

I'm running 2008 R2. Yes I'm running Backup Exec, however the program is failing left and right. I'd like to know what folders/files I need to backup myself with the Server Backup program and make a copy of the database to a tape drive so I can have it offsite. The reliability of our Backup Exec is scary sad, yet Symantec just gives me the cold shoulder.

Instead of trust my faith in a backup program, it would be nice to know what files I need to backup and/or file directories so that I can do a backup by other means.

Recently I've made a network folder backup of the database to a NAS with the Windows server backup program that you mentioned above and then transferred this to an external for safe keeping.

I'm currently looking into Dell's AppAssure software.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:55 PM
  • PCG, just curious, are you not doing any sort of backup right now?  If not, how are you getting your DB log files cleaned up? If you are doing backups, then what software are you currently using?

James

James,

We are currently using Backup Exec, however I don't like the reliability of the software solution and the reason for my question initially is because I'm trust in Backup solution to automate the Exchange database backup, however knowing what files need to be backed up for my own knowledge-base is what I was seeking.

I want to use the Windows Server Backup program as a redundant backup system, just in-case. However as stated before, knowing what files and folders to backup is sort of help information. :)

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:58 PM