none
misc filter questions RRS feed

• Question

• Just switched from Project 2010, I have been using 2007 off and on for years, I have some questions I can't seem find answers to via internet...

--is there a built-in way to unfilter, expand all, ungroup, etc ... Show me everything?  I have a small macro but it doesn't seem to show me all tasks every time

--i have a large project and use filters to focus in on tasks during meetings.  In project 2007 I could collapse and expand the task's parent/summary/roll up, this would unfilter the other child tasks in that group.  This does not work for me after upgrading to 2010.  Its frustrating not to be able to see those other tasks

--F5/goto task... I use this all the time jump between tasks. Is there a way to make project goto a task even if that tasks is not visible(filtered for example)?  

--even better, is there any way to make the predecessor column data hyperlink to the task references?  For example if the predecessor for task 1000 is task 10, I'd like to ctrl-click or something to jump to task 10 (so don't have to page up 50 times or F5 & type 10

--one last thing... A "back button" would be great for jumping back through the tasks... Any way to get one in 2010?

Thanks!

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:58 AM

All replies

• Kevin --

To answer your questions:

1. No, there is no built in way to unfilter, expand all, and ungroup.  A macro would be the best way to do this.  I am not sure why your macro does not work all the time, however.
    2. As you have found, filters works a little different in Microsoft Project 2010.  I am not aware of any way around this issue.
    3. No, there is no way to use the Go To dialog to jump to a task that is hidden.  Microsoft Project 2010 gives you an error message if you try to do this.
    4. No, there is no way to quickly or automatically jump to either a Predecessor or Successor task.
    5. No, there is no Back button in Microsoft Project 2010 to jump through your tasks.  The closest feature you can find to do this is the Task Inspector tool (Task > Inspect > Inspect Task).

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:55 AM
  • A quick comment regarding predecessor navigation - the Task Inspector does show the driving predecessors in a hyperlink that allows navigation.
    Friday, July 26, 2013 10:34 AM
  • Kevin,

One more comment about your macro, try the following sequence:

FilterApply Name:="all tasks"
    OutlineShowTasks expandinsertedprojects:=True

That should do it.

John

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Here're a couple macros that do similar things.....might provide a useful reference.

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2012/02/17/find-uid-utility/

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:46 PM
  • So how do you all efficiently navigate around a large project?  I find myself writing down task numbers on paper so I can remember where to go back to.  This is very frustrating, I can't believe they haven't incorporated the hyperlink or "back button" type functionality that has made it's way into most other programs  :(
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:56 PM
  • The Task Inspector predecessor link does not show on all tasks which have predecessors in my project.  I have not figured out why it works for some tasks and not others.  Any ideas?  One possibility... I am using Project2007 files since not everyone in my area has access to Project 2010.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:02 PM
  • The inspector shows why a task is scheduled to a particular date.  If a task has an actual start date, it will not show predecessors and predecessors do not over-ride actual start date information.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Kevin --

Like you, I make notes in a notebook.  I agree with your frustration, but I do not work for Microsoft and I did not design the software.  What you see is a limitation we all face.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Kevin,

Have you tried the Network Diagram, Relationship Diagram or Descriptive Network Diagram views? Or, if you want to trace a particular path, try Jack Dahlgren's Trace macro which can be found on his website at, http://masamiki.com/project/macros.htm.

And just for reference I've also use the "paper" approach in conjunction with setting a flag field for those tasks I want to view. Then I apply a filter on the flag.

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thanks for the info, I am trying out some of the macros and trying to create one myself to replace the F5 functionality.  I cannot seem to find if there is a property/method to determine if a task is hidden/filtered.  If the task is hidden, then I will try to go to the task above it, looking for summary tasks to expand.

Or plan B, mark all tasks in the current filtered view with a flag true, set the "goto task" flag true also, then filter on the flag.

Regarding the various diagrams... I have always found them difficult to use when working with big projects (1000+ tasks).

Thanks again.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:28 PM
  • kevin,

As far as I know there is no direct method to determine which tasks are not shown in the current view due to a filter being applied. You could use an indirect method like tracking the sequence of IDs and finding which are missing but that probably won't help much for what you want to do.

I think you would be better off to expand everything, apply the EditGoTo Method and then set the flag as you go, but maybe that's what you mean by plan "B".

I agree with your assessment of the network and relationship diagrams, it becomes a challenge to use those views on very large projects, although once a specific set of tasks is filtered out of the whole project, the Network Diagram view is sometimes easier to follow with respect to the flow of the plan.

John

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:15 PM