none
Transfer Rules - Conditions and reactions (e.g if FileSize over 10mb delete from mail)

Question

• Hi,

i recently limited the internal max send size to 10 MB.
    After one week the complaints are arising although we use SharePoint (on prem) as a collaboration platform

Some problems i can understand. So i want to change or enhance the rules to fix these issue.

Problem 1: I send a big file (max 25mb) to an external customer and set a internal colleague on CC. Email gets rejected for the internal user.

Is there a possibility to delete the attachment (leave the filename somewhere would be perfect) and send only the email to the internal colleague? And a notice to the sender that the internal recipient only got the mail?

Problem 2: I cannot forward a mail with a big attachment to a colleague when using my phone (and have no access to SharePoint or my notebook)

We use a Blackberry UEM to handle our Android and iPhones. Is it possible to recognise if a mobile phone is sending an email and then say "stop processing rules"?

Thank you for your help.

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Thursday, September 7, 2017 12:14 PM

All replies

• That would be NO on both counts, I'm afraid.
    • Proposed as answer by Andy DavidMVP Thursday, September 7, 2017 10:04 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

Per my research and test both cannot be achieved.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 8, 2017 2:59 AM
  • Thanks for testing and research. I also tried to make these rules work.

I will proceed for another 4h. If i come up with something useful i will post it here.

Regards Stephan

Friday, September 8, 2017 5:55 AM
  • For Problem 1:

Is it possible that the colleague gets the mail WITH the attachment as soon as an external contact is at the "to" field?

Regards Stephan

Sunday, September 10, 2017 5:58 PM
  • That should be possible. You can add a CC/BCC clause to the rule, and match it against any messages sent to external senders (scope is "outside of the company") and containing attachments.
    Monday, September 11, 2017 6:34 PM
  • Hi Vasil,

i just tried to do so. Can you please advise?

Sender is Inside the organization. For test purposes i added a group where i am member of.

The CC field has to contain a member of "Everyone" because you cannot select inside organization.

Do the following: I had to select something. I would select "Stop processing rules" but i can only tick it below. The rule got fired (i got an incident report) but the email to my colleague did not get delivered. It's a higher priority than the "inside block more than 10mb" rule

Regards Stephan

Monday, September 18, 2017 7:13 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

As you've mentioned, the email to my colleague did not get delivered if it has triggered the other rule.

Please check the message tracking log.

Thanks.

Regards,

Jason Chao

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:29 AM
  • But if i said "stop processing" it should have work?

Well nevertheless. We stopped this "project" and now allow 25 mb as before.

Regards Stephan

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Thanks for your response and sharing!

Regards,

Jason Chao

Monday, September 25, 2017 4:48 AM