none
The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent RRS feed

• Question

• I have two servers, both running DPM 2010.  One is located in our data center, performing all of our backups there.  The other is at our office performing backups there.  Then they are replicating to each other.  I continually receive the error: "The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on <servername>. (ID 65 Details: The specified network name is no longer available (0x80070040))."  This error only occurs on the replications.  One is the replication of the DPMDB and the other is the replication of a SQL database.  I am replicating 2 databases and one works fine, the other receives the error.  I am also replicating the DPMDB of both servers and only one generates the error.  One of the errors is on the Datacenter server and one is on the Office server so there is no consistency anywhere in this.  Any Ideas?

Thanks, 

Jesse

• Moved by Wilson SouzaMicrosoft employee Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:52 AM This looks more likely a DPM agent communication issue. Moving this to DPM Setup and Agent management forum (From:DPM SQL Protection)
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What kind of network link do you have? What devices are between the two DPM servers? I would start be getting a network trace while the problem occurs as it sounds like there is a connectivity issue during the replication.

Thanks,

Marc

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Both are behind a SonicWall and a Dell Switch.  We have a 45MB connection to our data center, so I have the replication throttled as well as on the wire compression enabled.  Its strange because I have replications working just fine as well.  Its only about half of the replications that fail.

Jesse

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

Try configuring the antivirus program to exclude real-time monitoring of the Dpmra.exe program on the Data Protection Manager servers and / or the protected server present in the errors. By default, the Dpmra.exe file is located in the following folder:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Bin

If the above does not eliminate the error, try adding this registry key on both dpm servers, and / or the protected server present in the errors.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
    "ConnectionNoActivityTimeout"=dword:0000200

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, September 9, 2011 1:08 PM
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 9:13 PM