Permanent session id. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 
        I was wondering if there is a way to assign a permanent session id to a TS user. Reason : Everytime the log back to the TS, a new session id is assigned and the default printer is redirected to that session -  their software is remembering all accessed printers and the list is getting out of proportion. To top the cake, users have to reconfigure all outputs (reports, etc...) to use the newly "created" printer. With a fixed session id, the redirected printer would always be the same. 

I am thinking of never closing a disconnected session to see if the user will keep his session id.

Richard 
    Richard
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:57 PM

Answers

• Richard,

Without going into the whys and why nots - you cannot fix session id's and even with never closing a disconnected session there might be times when maintenance dictates a reboot thus spoiling this idea. Are you saying that the list of printers available to the users is growing? I havent installed any printers and the user only see's their printer available when they go to print.

Despite this I have a solution to your problem - group policy! a summary of the options are:

Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

• Do not allow client printer redirection
    • Do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session
    • Redirect only the default client printer
    • Specify terminal server fallback printer driver behavior
    • Use Terminal Services Easy Print printer driver first

to see all the options available please visit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770884.aspx

Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  Metallicabk,

Thanks for your interest. I came to the conclusion that the problem resides with the software the customer is using. The application is remembering all printers that were available at one time in different sessions and is throwing them permanently into the list of available printers even if they do not exist anymore. To the end user, this is very confusing and frustrating because they have to find out what redirection is working for them among a bunch of old redirected printer sessions.

According to their software support, in order to clean the list, the application has to be desintalled and installed again because there is no way to clear it - their solution is not resolving the problem because the list will start rebuilding thus my interest in having a permanent session id. 

I beleive this thread should end here as it will not add new knowledge to the readers. 

Your suggestions were appreciated, thanks to all.

Richard
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:55 AM

All replies

• Richard,

Without going into the whys and why nots - you cannot fix session id's and even with never closing a disconnected session there might be times when maintenance dictates a reboot thus spoiling this idea. Are you saying that the list of printers available to the users is growing? I havent installed any printers and the user only see's their printer available when they go to print.

Despite this I have a solution to your problem - group policy! a summary of the options are:

Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

• Do not allow client printer redirection
    • Do not set default client printer to be default printer in a session
    • Redirect only the default client printer
    • Specify terminal server fallback printer driver behavior
    • Use Terminal Services Easy Print printer driver first

to see all the options available please visit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770884.aspx

Sunday, November 9, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. All these policies are currently applied to many users and the server acts as it should. The problem, an exception to the rule, sits with the customer's application that remembers all printers at one time available to the user. So the same printer will appear as many times as the session id has changed ex. : brother-HL2040 redirected to session 1,  brother-HL2040 redirected to session 2 and so on thus creating confusion to the operator.

If it is not possible to "assign" or to "tag" a user with a session id then I am left with the option to find out from the application supplier if the software can only show the newest or the actual default printer.

Thanks again.
    Richard
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Richard,

Is this a bespoke application? and does the user go to file > print and see the list of the printers that way?

If you set only the default printer does it still show previous session printers? I wonder if you need to clear previous sessions.

Can you give the user admin rights and log in and check the printers available from control panel? if the session printers are not listed there then it seems that the application is holding on to them if not it would appear that your printer redirection isnt working correctly?

Does this occur in any other application for this user?
    Monday, November 10, 2008 9:38 AM
  •  Metallicabk,

Thanks for your interest. I came to the conclusion that the problem resides with the software the customer is using. The application is remembering all printers that were available at one time in different sessions and is throwing them permanently into the list of available printers even if they do not exist anymore. To the end user, this is very confusing and frustrating because they have to find out what redirection is working for them among a bunch of old redirected printer sessions.

According to their software support, in order to clean the list, the application has to be desintalled and installed again because there is no way to clear it - their solution is not resolving the problem because the list will start rebuilding thus my interest in having a permanent session id. 

I beleive this thread should end here as it will not add new knowledge to the readers. 

Your suggestions were appreciated, thanks to all.

Richard
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Hmm, I would suggest asking deeper about this printer clearing issue. If they keep the data anywhere you can access/edit it, scripting removal and addition of the printer would be the quickest way to resolve it. So when they log on, it auto updates the file with the correct information.

We have a few applications that have this issue, but most clients that use them have static printers, so it is never a large issue.  Although I will follow my own advice on the others that have the issue.

You are right though, it is the software vendors issue.  Fixing it may depend on you though since most software venders are slow to respond to such issues.

Good luck.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:51 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Have you resolved this issue and if yes can you please let me know how?

Cheers.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hi JannieB,

Unfortunately, no. Because of time being scarce, this inquiry is sitting on the back burner until higher priorities have been removed form the list.

Thanks for your interest.
    Richard
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 3:55 PM