none
Project task email notification per project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We need to setup automatic email reminder to project manager on delayed projects.

How can set these type of scenario in project server 2010.

Please share some knowledge on this.

Thanks and Regards

Muhammed

• Edited by iqbalkmk Monday, August 19, 2013 5:11 AM
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:49 AM

Answers

• Yes Sure,

As I mentioned in my above reply, so can create a windows application. Then perform below steps to send alerts for delayed projects.

1) First create a data source connection to Project Server Reporting Database and then load data in DataSet.. use following link on how to fetch and load data in dataset from sql database.

2) Then iterate over your dataset with using ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count.

3) Then send mail 1 by 1 to all Project Owners for corresponding Project in loop. You can follow this link for sending mails.

4) Then schedule this application using windows schedule to run it on particular frequency.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

• Marked as answer by iqbalkmk Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

I have uploaded the application script in Microsoft gallery you can download from this location "http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Send-automatic-customized-1649ded7"

Thanks and let me know in case face any issue while executing the application.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

• Proposed as answer by Sachin Vashishth Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by iqbalkmk Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:50 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We have OOB automatic reminder for overdue/pending tasks in Project Server 2010. But as per your requirement you need specifically for delayed project, then I think we can setup using 1 small custom application using PSI.

Below are steps to achieve this.

1) So Based on your business logic first you need to fetch list of delayed project from Reporting DB, along with project attributes like Project Owner, Project Name, Owner Email Address etc

2) Then iterate over your delayed project data set(returned from above query)

3) Then write code to drop alert mail 1 by 1 to each Project Owner based on Project.

4) Test the application on dev server.

5) At last schedule this application to run on particular frequency using windows scheduler or any third party scheduling tool.

Thanks and let me know in case have any doubts !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

Thank you for reply.

I am not a core developer to do this thing , i have basic knowledge only .

Can you please help me how to do this step by step.

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

• Edited by iqbalkmk Monday, August 19, 2013 5:10 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 8:14 AM
  • Yes Sure,

As I mentioned in my above reply, so can create a windows application. Then perform below steps to send alerts for delayed projects.

1) First create a data source connection to Project Server Reporting Database and then load data in DataSet.. use following link on how to fetch and load data in dataset from sql database.

2) Then iterate over your dataset with using ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count.

3) Then send mail 1 by 1 to all Project Owners for corresponding Project in loop. You can follow this link for sending mails.

4) Then schedule this application using windows schedule to run it on particular frequency.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

• Marked as answer by iqbalkmk Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:41 AM
  • Hi Sachin ,

If you can write a blog article using this scenario , it will be very useful.

I appreciate your reply

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

• Edited by iqbalkmk Monday, August 19, 2013 5:10 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Sure I'll try to put in my blog..during weekend in case not traveling oustation.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Hi,

I have uploaded the application script in Microsoft gallery you can download from this location "http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Send-automatic-customized-1649ded7"

Thanks and let me know in case face any issue while executing the application.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

• Proposed as answer by Sachin Vashishth Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:05 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:12 PM
  • Hi Sachin ,

Thank you very much for the script.

I tested on our dev server but in my case its not sending any mails.

Is there any other configuration need to do?

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

• Edited by iqbalkmk Monday, August 19, 2013 7:09 AM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 5:12 AM
  • Hi Muhammed,

Coordinate with your exchange team ask them SMTP server name and port for sending mail also tell them to allow your dev machine to send mail using company's exchange server.

There will be small configuration needs to be done from exchange team, then you'll be all set to go.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Monday, August 19, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Hi Muhammed --

Solving your problem -- exactly as stated -- involves custom software development to add a new feature to the application, since this feature is not built-in. Before spending any more time trying to develop and implement something that may (or may not) meet your needs, I suggest stepping back and asking another set of questions:

• What does the Project Manager need to know?
    • When do they need to know it?
    • Why do they need to know it?
    • How and where do they need to consume the information?
    • What will they do with the information when they receive it?

If we know the answers to these questions, we may be able to find a better solution to your problem. For example, perhaps the Project Manager simply needs to see a report that displays slipping projects, slipping tasks, or slipping milestones. Perhaps they simply need to be able to find the information easily within Microsoft Project... with zero custom development.

Thanks!

-- tz

Tony Zink Vice President, EPMA Company: http://www.epmainc.com Blog: http://www.epmablog.com Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Monday, August 19, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

Its already configure with the SMTP server and port.

I tested other project the email is sending successfully but not sending from this project.

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

• Edited by iqbalkmk Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Hi t0ny,

Actually this requirement from top mangement .

They need to make project managers active .

So they suggested to setup automatic email reminder to project manager on delayed projects.

This reminder need to setup on weekly basis .

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

Didn't get you exactly.

You mean that custom application/script is sending alerts mails successfully for other projects except 1 project.

If yes then check give me error details also check the Project Manager for that Project must have email-id define in PWA if you are sending alerts to PM.

If not, then please correct me.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

• Unmarked as answer by iqbalkmk Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:50 AM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

I tested again now its working fine .

I need to use Project server view table for getting the custom fields values .

So i changed the table and query but it is not working.

"SELECT     dbo.MSP_EpmResource_UserView.ResourceName, dbo.MSP_EpmResource_UserView.ResourceEmailAddress, dbo.MSP_EpmProject_UserView.ProjectName " +
                         "FROM   dbo.MSP_EpmProject_UserView INNER JOIN dbo.MSP_EpmResource_UserView ON dbo.MSP_EpmProject_UserView.ProjectOwnerResourceUID = dbo.MSP_EpmResource_UserView.ResourceUID " +
                         "WHERE     (MSP_EpmProject_UserView.ProjectPercentCompleted <=25)" +
                         "Group By ResourceName,ResourceEmailAddress,ProjectName ORDER BY ResourceName";

Thanks and regards

Muhammed

Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:16 AM
  • That's great to hear Muhammed

Also request you to please mark the post where I have shared the link for custom application as answer so that it can help other user as well.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Hi Muhammed --

I have been implementing Microsoft PPM for several years; sending an automated e-mail to Project Managers notifying them of delayed projects will not necessarily "make project managers active".

What does that statement mean, exactly... "make project managers more active"? Does it mean that the Project Managers need to update their project schedules on a regular basis? A nagging e-mail notification will not accomplish that.

Instead, executive leadership needs to make it very clear that all Project Managers will be expected to keep their project schedules updated on a regular basis (weekly?), and they will be measured against that expectation. There should be rewards for Project Managers who meet their objective, and there should be penalties for those who do not.

It is easy to measure and report on which projects are updated on a regular basis, and those metrics can be easily displayed to executive leadership so that they can monitor who is meeting their objectives.

Good luck!

-- tz

Tony Zink | Vice President, EPMA | http://www.epmainc.com | Blog: http://www.epmablog.com | Training: http://www.epmainstitute.com

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:55 PM