Help troubleshooting deployment please... RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated our MDT server from 2013 U2 6.3.8330.1000 to 6.3.8443.1000 and I also updated the ADK to v1607, I updated the boot images and imported them in WDS for PXE booting.   I did this so we could get started with Windows 10.  I've created a new build and capture sequence and also a deploy sequence, both for Windows 10, which are working well.  

However, when I tried to image a hyper-v vm using our old Windwos 7 ts it would throw a pink screen and error 6524 while still in WinPE every time, if I imaged a desktop using this ts it would intermittently fail, I can't say for sure whether it was also error 6524 or not.

Anyway, I recreated this Windows 7 ts thinking that was the problem.  When I image the vm I still get the same 6524 error. When I image a desktop I get error 5627 but it's intermittent like before.  The failure screen is:

Something is making me think this is related to our previous habit of fiddling with the partition structure in the image to make a C:, D: and NOT the 500MB utility partition but I don't understand it enough to fix it.  We will not be doing this with Windows 10. If someone can please, please help I would greatly appreciate it, just tell me what you need.

I have shared the logs from the failed desktop imaging here https://1drv.ms/f/s!Apnj5ye_VbzEqA5SA75T6oWRL7gb

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:28 PM

Answers

• This has been resolved. The issue with the vm was due to insufficient disk size.  The issue with the physical machine was caused by a package I had placed in the MDT Packages folder, the package was for Windows 10 only but the ts was set to install all package.  Once I created a subfolder for Windows 10, created a selection profile and updated the ts it all goes smoothly.
    • Marked as answer by J. Wall Friday, January 6, 2017 2:17 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 2:17 PM

All replies

• If I read this correctly: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msdeployment/2016/11/14/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-8443-now-available/  Windows 7 is NOT supported with the 8443 version of MDT.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Thank you the the reply.  I don't come to the same conclusion as you after reading that, what is it that makes you think Windows 7 is not supported?  I really hope this is not the case.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:26 PM
  • Maybe I interpreted the Supported Configuration Updates incorrectly. 

Can you hit F8 to open a Command prompt?  If so, go to \Windows\Temp\DeploymentLogs and check  LTIApply.log for possible errors

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 7:43 PM
  • The last several lines of LTIApply.log are:

Then dism.log has a LOT of red, too much to show in an image here, but dism.log is shared in the link I included in my first post.  I've also looked at the dism.log from a successful deployment of Windows 10 and it has a lot of red as well, so some errors must be normal, but there's definitely more red in the failed deployment.  I'm just not sure what I'm looking for.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:20 PM
  • This has been resolved. The issue with the vm was due to insufficient disk size.  The issue with the physical machine was caused by a package I had placed in the MDT Packages folder, the package was for Windows 10 only but the ts was set to install all package.  Once I created a subfolder for Windows 10, created a selection profile and updated the ts it all goes smoothly.
    • Marked as answer by J. Wall Friday, January 6, 2017 2:17 PM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 2:17 PM