none
how do you start WinRM? RRS feed

• Question

• i'm referring to the article in this link Force a Domain-Wide Update of Group Policy with PowerShell that uses WinRM.

i found that WinRM is not enabled and configured by default. using sc.exe i was able to start the service remotely but it needs to be configured to accept remote connections.

i can't find the right forum to post this question hence i posted here since it all started with the script discussed in the article.

question is how does one enable and configure WinRM to accept remote connections remotely?

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:13 AM

Answers

• well i'll try. the reason why i searched that article is that my GPO settings are not being received by several computers and they are spread out across the country. i want to force them to sync using gpupdate by sending remote command.

That is not how to fix this. You need to run GP diags to check for what is failing.  Post in GP forum.  They will help you learn how t troubleshoot GP issues.

You cannot remotely deploy remoting.  There are many articles claiming ways to do it.  Domn't waste your time.  Set GP to deploy remoting then test the remotes.  THey willlikely work unless ther is a complete GP failure.  Post inGP forum for more help.

Update GP for WinRM now so it is deployed by the time you get done researching.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:37 AM

All replies

• I believe this article answers your question..

Sam Boutros, Senior Consultant, Software Logic, KOP, PA http://superwidgets.wordpress.com (Please take a moment to Vote as Helpful and/or Mark as Answer, where applicable) _________________________________________________________________________________ Powershell: Learn it before it's an emergency http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/powershell.aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd793612.aspx

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:17 AM
  • The article is a bit outdated.  Most system should be running WMF 3.0 or later.

In a domain the easiest and recommended way to deploy PsRemoting is via Group Policy.  It takes one small entry and remoting will become magically enabled everywhere almost immediately.

Here are the GP instructions (scroll allthe ay down) http://blogs.technet.com/b/poshchap/archive/2014/07/04/powershell-remoting-considerations.aspx

Post GP questions in the Group Policy forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Proposed as answer by Sam Boutros Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:27 AM
  • well i'll try. the reason why i searched that article is that my GPO settings are not being received by several computers and they are spread out across the country. i want to force them to sync using gpupdate by sending remote command.
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:32 AM

That is not how to fix this. You need to run GP diags to check for what is failing.  Post in GP forum.  They will help you learn how t troubleshoot GP issues.

You cannot remotely deploy remoting.  There are many articles claiming ways to do it.  Domn't waste your time.  Set GP to deploy remoting then test the remotes.  THey willlikely work unless ther is a complete GP failure.  Post inGP forum for more help.

Update GP for WinRM now so it is deployed by the time you get done researching.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Reno Mardo Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:37 AM
  • I should note that running gpupdate remotely will not fix GP problems.  GPUpdate is run every 30 minutes by the operating systems.  THe utility is just there to allow a user to skip waiting 30 minutes or more for a change.

What you want to run is GPResult and from the DC with ADUC or from a workstation with the admin tools installed.  THis will give you a full diagnosis of the result policy along with Event log issues.  THe GP logs on geh client can also be retrived remotely to inspect for issues.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:56 AM