Windows 7 logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• We are just starting to install PCs with Windows 7 onto our domain. Now with Windows 2000 & XP at the logon screen there were three fields i.e.

Usrename
    Password
    Domain

The beauty of this was that the domain name defaulted so that the user only had to put in their username & password.

Now with Vista & 7 the users have to remember to enter the domain name & their username every time eg mydomain\JohnDoe

Where the same user uses the PC every day it's not a problem but where different users use the PC at different times of the day this going to cause real headaches.

It would be nice if the logon screen could be changed to be similar to the Win2000 & XP logon screen. Does anyone know a way of doing this at all?

I.T. Manager International House London
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:24 PM

Answers

• You can use Group Policy to automatically set the default domain that will be automatically used when logging in:

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread7340.html

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Maurice_Reed Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:49 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:14 AM

All replies

• It would be nice if the logon screen could be changed to be similar to the Win2000 & XP logon screen. Does anyone know a way of doing this at all?

this is not possible. The MSGINA which was used in XP was removed and replaced my the new login system which work different.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Hi Maurice_Reed,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

This behavior is by design.

If you’re running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you can have the old NT style logon screen as a workaround.

Open the Local registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

In the right pane, find the Value “dontdisplaylastusername”. Double-click it and set the value to 1.

In addition, if you have any suggestions about this design, please submit the feedback to our Product Feedback Team: http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Miya Yao Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:14 AM add info
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:06 AM
  • You can use Group Policy to automatically set the default domain that will be automatically used when logging in:

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread7340.html

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Maurice_Reed Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:49 PM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:14 AM
  • We've done that so at least the users won't have to type in a 15char domain name + / before their usernames.

Shame MS hadn't thought of it and kept the domain as a separate drop-down choice as before. It really isn't fair to expect users, who let's face it hardly know what a computer is, to remember long domain names.

I.T. Manager International House London
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:52 PM
  • I know at the company I work for (we use Windows 7), I've never had to type the domain... so I'm assuming they set it with Group Policy as well.  If I need to override and login to another domain, I know that I can type domain\user, but we only have one domain.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:58 PM