none
DPM Migration 2007 - 2010 on new hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the planning process for moving our DPM 2007 server running on Server 2003 R2 over to new hardware and DPM 2010.  I have about 200 or so tapes in my long term retention.

A - can all my DPM 2007 tapes be read using 2010 - My archive goes back almost 2 years on the monthly backups.  If i do a clean install of 2010, will I be able to catalog and restore data from the old tapes without any issues?

B - If I am not worried about the recovery points on the 2007 server, is it best just to start fresh.  My current server is running out of space and performance has been degrading rapidly. 

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, September 4, 2010 5:57 AM Moving to DPM Setup Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

A) Yes, you can import and re-catalog the tapes on the new DPM 2010 server, however restore restrictions would be as flat files to network shares, not back to original locations, so I would discourage you from doing that.

B) Since you need to go to new hardware anyways, I would take this approach:

DPM 2007 to DPM 2010 Upgrade
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsetup/thread/16f358a2-506d-4b58-a813-99df8a7ac9f6 

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Since I am currently running server 2003 x64 as the OS, am even able to do the in place upgrade to get to 2010.  I thought I had to be running 2008 to install DPM 2010.  To keep this in perspective I have 1 DPM server and 12 DPM server clients.  Right now I have about 3.5 Tb of on disk retention in use.  Part of the need to move is to increase to over 9 Tb of available space and to move to a server with 15K drives for the OS and Database where the current setup was on SATA drives and performace has been more than painful.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:37 PM
  • HI,

OK, You can get the best of both worlds, perform the dpm 2007 - dpm 2010 upgrade on the current x64 hardware and upgrade the protection agents.  Make a backup of the DPM 2010 DB using dpmbackup -db and copy the dpmdb.bak to a network location.   Install DPM 2010 freash on the new faster server (Using the same SEVER NAME and DOMAIN) - then copy the dpmdb.back locally and restore the DPMDB using dpmsync commands.  To start fresh with new storage disks, add them to the storage pool and run dpmsync -reallocatereplica command. Finally, move the tape library to the new server and viola,- you are on new hardware but maintaining your PG's and tape backups.  DPM will start making new RP's to the new disks.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Do I have to be concerned about the current 2003 OS or can I do the upgrade of dpm without server 2008.  Sorry to keep back tracking, just thought DPM 2010 required server 2008 as a base platform.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:03 PM
  •  

HI,

Windows server 2003 does allow an in-place upgrade to Windows 2008.  You don't need to supply a product key since it's only going to be a temporary installation.

The other way to get this done is install Windows 2003 X64 on the new hardware, install DPM 2007 + Sp1 + latest DPM QFE patch (KB979970) - then move the current DPMDB from the old windows 2003 server to the new and import it.  Then proceed with the O.S. upgrade and DPM 2010 upgrade, update the PS agents.  Finally move tape library.

Have you seen the DPM 2010 upgrade advisor ?

http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2010/02/26/upgrade-advisor-for-dpm-2010-now-available.aspx

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Thank you, I will check it out. I guess now it is just picking the route to take.  You have been most helpfull.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 5:24 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 + 2013 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:49 PM