Client not reporting SP1 CU2 installed RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed SP1 CU2 to a test system and it appears, from the installation log, that it was successful. The Control Panel applet shows it is version 5.00.7804.1300. I've done a Full Hardware Inventory on the client but it's still not showing up as upgraded in my SCCM console. I'm using this query to find CU2 clients

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_SYSTEM.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.ClientVersion = "5.00.7804.1300" and SMS_G_System_SYSTEM.SystemType = "X64-based PC"

How exactly does SCCM pull the Client Versions?

Orange County District Attorney

Monday, September 9, 2013 10:58 PM

Answers

• That's fine to use it in a collection, but its always beneficial to simply use a query initially -- you can directly import it into a collection later after it shows the results that you expect.

Not sure o other locations -- what's wrong with using heartbeat discovery though? It's typically faster and most folks have it running much more frequently. I typically recommend folks set it to once or twice a day.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• When you say you're using a query, that means that you have a query based membership in a collection, correct?If so,

What happens if you simply open resource explorer for the client or run the query outside of a collection (unless you are targeting something to that collection, there's no need to create a collection to simply see the results of a query)?

Also, there's no dash in the System Type value so it should be "x64 based PC". Using the Values button in the query builder makes it easy to select canned values like this.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:46 AM
  • Yes, I'm using the above query to see what machines have made it to the CU2 level. I found some success in forcing a Full Software Inventory. That seemed to get some machines to appear in the CU2 collection.

I checked the Values button in my query and there is a dash in the "X64-based PC" value. Maybe this is a new change?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:21 PM
  • I've found that it does take a while to update the client version.  Maybe a hardware inventory re-sync?

I also prefer to install the patch with an Application instead of a package.  Check out my blog for help doing that.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:38 PM
  • Thanks for the note and the link on creating a package for CU2. I've always wanted to dig in to Applications more and move away from Packages if I can. Now you've given me a good reason and a good step-by-step instruction.

I've tried many Full Hardware Inventory syncs and the only thing I've found that does the trick is a Full Software Inventory. You're  blog post looks like it explains the reason with the smsinstall.exe file version.

I also noticed that when browsing to C:\Windows\CCM, the permissions on smsappinstall.exe are such that I cannot see the file version. Did you have the same issue in your investigation? I suppose I could login as the local admin to see if I can view the file version.

• Edited by Sandy Wood Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:59 PM addition
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:48 PM
  • My point about asking where you are using the query is that is you are doing this in a collection, you have to make sure to update the collection membership also. That's why you shouldn't use collections for retrieving information, you should use a query (in the monitoring workspace) or a report.

As for software inventory, that plays no part. In looking at your query again, I realized the info is in SMS_R_SYSTEM which contains discovery info, thus you need to initiate a heartbeat discovery (aka data discovery cycle) on the clients to get the client agent version.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Using the application model for upgrading clients is kind of dangerous. Why? You always have to keep in mind that you have to keep an eye on that deployment especially if you're installing a SP or other ConfigMgr related updates. The detection menthod will no longer detect the 'application' as installed if a SP/CU/hotfix will change/update the file version of the file you used for detecting it. This will result in a reinstall attempt if the deployment is required.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Yes, I am using the query in a collection to see what machines are at CU2. I thought this was the best way to go since I want to apply a SCEP update that requires CU2. ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2865173/en-us ).

Is the SCCM Client version exposed in any other way besides SMS_R_System?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:10 PM
  • That's fine to use it in a collection, but its always beneficial to simply use a query initially -- you can directly import it into a collection later after it shows the results that you expect.

Not sure o other locations -- what's wrong with using heartbeat discovery though? It's typically faster and most folks have it running much more frequently. I typically recommend folks set it to once or twice a day.

• Marked as answer by Sandy Wood Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thank Jason. You've made some excellent points and clarified my issue considerably. I thought my Heartbeat Discovery was set at once a day so I checked and whatta you know, it was set at once a week. Jeez. Changed it to once a day and it looks like I'm getting more results now.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:25 PM
  • Using the application model for upgrading clients is kind of dangerous. Why? You always have to keep in mind that you have to keep an eye on that deployment especially if you're installing a SP or other ConfigMgr related updates. The detection menthod will no longer detect the 'application' as installed if a SP/CU/hotfix will change/update the file version of the file you used for detecting it. This will result in a reinstall attempt if the deployment is required.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Torsten,

I used "greater than or equal to" for the file version.  In addition, if you are installing any other SP/CU/hotfix that affects the client, you would take the package or the Application into consideration regardless.  If you are installing CU3, you wouldn't keep the deployment for CU2 live.  Would you?  The success in getting CU2 out to clients with an Application has been much higher and quicker.  It has also been easier to monitor and troubleshoot.  With that said, I still prefer the start up script method over any other method and I use that for the client if they are willing to use a GPO.  

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:55 PM