none
New User PC, Backup Failing, The Windows Server Client Backup Computer Service is not present RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced a PC on the user's SBS 2011 Essentials site

After connecting the new PC to the network with the wizard everything appeared successful but that night and ever since, the new PCs backup failed.

Manually rerunning the backup it failed again

In the error log I saw that VSS was getting 8194 errors "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the VSSWRITECALLBACK interface.  hr=0x80070005, access is denied...".  Ran VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS but there were NO errors listed.

User PC backup works on the other PCs on this site, and worked for this user's previous PC so it is unlikely that the problem is in the server.  All other user activity seems to be working (drive mappings, etc) the wizard seemed to run without error and seems to have done the connection correctly otherwise.  Nothing special about the user - same software she has been running on her old pc, windows 7, just faster PC hardware (Lenovo Tiny).

After a bit of research into fixing that stumbled on the fact that the "Windows Server Client Computer Backup service" on the new computer was absent.  Presumably it is required for the client backup to work.?

How to remedy ?

• Edited by TSoward Thursday, December 21, 2017 5:05 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>the "Windows Server Client Computer Backup service" on the new computer was absent. 
    In general, these services (Windows Server relate services) are installed on client when using Connector.exe to connect client to SBS server.

If you had compared problematic client system with other working system, and make sure that backup relate Windows Server service is missing. Please try to disconnect client from server, then, re-connect via installing connector.exe. this process should re-install necessary components(including Windows Server relate services) on the client.

How do I disconnect or reconnect my computer from and to the server:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/disconnect-reconnect-computer-network-1(v=ws.11).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 22, 2017 5:58 AM
  • I think I was in error when I was looking for that service...it runs on the server not the client.

Beginning to look like something relate to the VSS errors?  Access denied?

Ted

Friday, December 22, 2017 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

On Essentials Server, there should be a service as below:
    Windows Server Essentials Computer Backup Service

On client, in order to complete the backup task, there should a service as below:
    Windows Server Essentials Client Computer Management Service

You can try to manually start this service on client, then, manually start a backup via Launchpad and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 25, 2017 8:38 AM
  • I don't see the Windows Server Essentials Client Computer Management Service on the client.

I see "Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider" and it is running.

Still, the backup fails as described above.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

As your screenshot has been displayed, for SBS 2011 connecting client, Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service is responsible for client backup:

For the client computer backup problem, please try below suggestion:
    1. On client, open CMD and type “chkdks /r /f” to check/repair disks.
    2. On SBS server, please manually disable, and re-enable backup on specific client to check the result.
    3. If problem persists, please reference above steps to dis-connect client and re-connect it to SBS to check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:28 AM
  • 1.  It looks like may need to disconnect and reconnect.

In the link

"How do I disconnect or reconnect my computer from and to the server:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/disconnect-reconnect-computer-network-1(v=ws.11).aspx

in step 2 "Ensure the computer is removed from Window sSBS 2011 Essentials"  The Link in that page does not go to the right page. Presumably I just remove the computer on the dashboard, and then on the PC change the network to workgroup?  

2. Looking at the error report it certainly looks like a problem on the PC ?  The backup is scheduled at 7:15

And at 8PM there was a group of VSS errors on the pc alike this:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
    Gathering Writer Data

Context:
    Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
    Writer Name: System Writer
    Writer Instance ID: {4d4c9cfa-3b4b-4d07-99f2-0da740d7099c}

Could this be a VSS issue?

Friday, January 5, 2018 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

Disconnect and re-connect computer from server:
    1. Uninstall Connector.exe from the client - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features.
    2. Unjoin client system from domain and re-join it to workgroup – System\Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings\Change settings\To rename this computer or change its domain or workgroup, click Change.\Change\Member of\select Workgroup and enter the workgroup name.
    3. On server, open Dashboard – Computers and Backup – delete this computer from the list.
    4. Re-start client system.
    5. Access server and download/install Connector.exe again.

For the event error you had mentioned, please reference - Event ID 8194 — Volume Shadow Copy Service Operations:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc734235(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 8, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, January 15, 2018 1:39 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:03 AM
  • Thanks for your patience, sorry for the delay.  So, I was concerned about disconnecting and reconnecting this user - should the users profile become inaccessible it could cause a serious problem for the client.  It took a while to get permission to proceed as follows:

I bought another new computer  (Lenovo Tiny, Windows 7 Pro like the one with the initial problem)  that is not yet needed by the client, I did the basic setup  (Lenovo updates, windows updates, activate office - no other software installed), I then added a new user to the server (Sales) and then used the new user to run the connection wizard.  Everything looked like it ran successfully.

When it brought up the part about backup I picked the option to run the manual backup as a test.

It FAILED on the new computer in the same way that the one we have been working on failed!!

I think this is as clean a test of the connection wizard as we could do... it must be something else?

Ted

• Edited by TSoward Friday, March 2, 2018 8:42 PM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 11:04 PM
  • Eve,

I think I might have found the culprit.

Both new PCs are UEFI-based and both contain GUID  partition table / GPT formatted.

There appears to be a hotfix for this kind of problem: 2781270  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2781270/a-hotfix-is-available-to-add-backup-support-for-uefi-based-computers-t)

Does that make sense?

It seems to suggest that there would be a supported update coming that would supersede that hotfix ?

Is the hotfix still the accepted way to allow UEFI/GPT to be backed up by SBS 2011 Essentials?

Is it safe to install?

Thanks,

Ted

• Edited by TSoward Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:25 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:24 PM
  • It appears that hotfix 2781270 applies to the situation, and since I've heard nothing back, I thought I'd try it.  Feels uncomfortable installing a hotfix that Microsoft never trusted enough to make it be part of regular WIndows update - it makes me nervous, especially when I read the uninstall information that essentially says "don't" so any error is permanent.

When I go to the download link  (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=2781270&kbln=en-US), 2 hotfixes are presented both for x64 with only the file name being different?!

I'm being asked to select between these 2 but both are for the same OS and there is nothing to indicate how to make the selection.

Select Product Language Platform Fix name Release Version Build File size (bytes) Modified date
    SBS 2011 Essentials All (Global) x64 KB2781270_SBS2011Ess latest V1 6.1.8800.16402 176269256 2/22/2013 7:39:14 AM
    SBS 2011 Essentials All (Global) x64 KB2781270 latest V1 8800.16402.130208 175965432 2/21/2013 8:31:18 AM

Is this meant to be that I should request both?  It is unclear.

Friday, March 9, 2018 3:22 PM
  • Hi!

I am having the same issues with a few devices connected to SBS 2011, and my research led me here. Although now the hotfix is unavailable, does anyone know a safe way to download it?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:19 PM