none
File History and Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• If I understand MS correctly File History won't take care of any app data at all (only personal documents). How can I secure that a user won't loose his mail settings, contacts etc. after harddrive failure?

Sunday, March 19, 2017 6:46 PM

Answers

• I know that Outlook is in focus here (and I might very well post my inquiry in the specific forum for that software), but my question here is kind of general... Has Windows 10 any tools for backing up data, other that users' files and folders?

Yes, Windows has built-in backup utility:

Control Panel -> Backup and Restore as below:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by lensv Friday, March 24, 2017 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's your Outlook version?

For Outlook 2016 and 2013, please backup your .pst file.

An Outlook Data File (.pst) contains your backed-up email messages, calendars, contacts, tasks, and notes, and can be stored in one of the following default locations:

• drive:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

• drive:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

• drive:\Users\<username>\Documents\Outlook Files

• drive:\Users\<username>\My Documents\Outlook Files

• drive:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Email accounts, such as Microsoft Exchange, Outlook.com, or IMAP keep your mail on a server. The Offline Outlook Data File (.ost) is a synchronized copy of the account saved on your computer, and is stored in one of the following default locations, based on the client version and the Outlook account type:

• drive:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

• drive:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

For more details, please refer to this article:

Locating the Outlook data files

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1892e2aacc#ID0EAABAAA=2016,_2013

Further more on Outlook backup and recovery, please ask in Outlook forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=outlook

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:07 AM
  • I know that Outlook is in focus here (and I might very well post my inquiry in the specific forum for that software), but my question here is kind of general... Has Windows 10 any tools for backing up data, other that users' files and folders?

Monday, March 20, 2017 7:04 AM

Yes, Windows has built-in backup utility:

Control Panel -> Backup and Restore as below:

• Marked as answer by lensv Friday, March 24, 2017 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Ahh, thanks! I thought that this feature left our world with Windows 8...

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:42 AM
  • lensv,

No, it's still be available in Windows 10.

So was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:45 AM
  • lensv,

No, it's still be available in Windows 10.

So was your issue resolved?

I guess so, but just out of curiosity... In Windows 8 this backup feature was gone, right?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:46 AM
  • lensv,

Windows 7 old backup tool is still in Windows 8. But with Windows 8.1, these deprecated backup tools are no longer present.

In addition, if your issue was resolved, please mark the helpful reply.

If you have any other question, feel free to create new thread.

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:06 AM