none
Hyper-V Host crashed - during backup RRS feed

• Question

• During my backup today the hyper-v host where the VM was running on crashed.  I suspect that the hardware vss provider is the cause of it. The first VM was backed up OK. After that I started the second VM manually and in the event logs I did not see any entries like I did for the first one. In addition no data was transferred for this VM when watching the bakcup in DPM. I stopped the backup but the host did not respond anymore. After serveral minutes I lost my connection to it.

After a did a remote restart I checked the event logs.

When the first VM was backed up I saw that at 2:27pm the dpmra service started followed by vss shadow and then "hpP6000 VSS Hardware Provider". That puzzled me. I have set the following as a "key"  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\UseSystemSoftwareProvider I didn't use "DWORD" or something like that - i put it in as "key". So the hardware provider should never have started - right?

In addition I looked at DPMRACurr.errlog - I checked for the Provider ID and the only one I found is that of the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy - I found an entry saying "vsssnapshotrequestor.cpp (639)  NORMAL CVSSnapshotRequestor :: ProviderId: <was the ID of Microsoft provider>, h/w provider:[0], volume: [XXXX"

1)  does this mean the hardware provider was not used ?

2)  what do I have to do to ensure that the hardware provider is not used?

At 2:48pm I started the backup of the next VM. This time there were no entries in the event log (the one I mentioned above). The host got unresponsive and then I lost my connection. I do not know what went wrong. I saw that the CSV was in "Redirect Access (Backup)" mode even though the backup was already stopped on DPM server. As the owner of the CSV was the unresponsive server I was not able to do anything about it. After the reboot everything is fine again.

Now everything is back to normal but I am afraid to start the backups again as I have not found the real reason for it. Does anyone have an idea?

Saturday, March 23, 2013 3:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please tell us what version of DPM and QFE level are you running and what version Windows operating system the Hyper-V cluster nodes are running ?

Please ensure you have optimized network configuration for backups.

KB2473194-DPM 2010 Hyper-V protection Configuring cluster networks for CSV redirected access
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2473194

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:51 PM
  • the DPM Server is DPM 2012 has update rollup 2 installed on a windows server 2008 r2. The Hyper-V hosts have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed. According to my knowledge all critical update are installed.

I know there are 4 Networks (Fibre Channel used - so no iSCSI net) but I will check using the above article to ensure that traffic uses the right network. Still I don't understand why the DPMRA and VSS events were never logged during backup of the second VM and it does not explain why the hardware provider process started but there is no trace of it in the DPM logs. So was it used...

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

I think you need to start by addressing issue with the Cluster node going unresponsive and causing failures.

Please make sure you have all of the following Windows 2008 R2 fixes installed:

2545685 - Recommended hotfixes and updates for Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Failover Clusters
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2545685

KB2460912-0x0000007E or 0x00000050 Stop error when you create snapshots of a volume in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460912

2262389-The network connection of a running Hyper-V virtual machine may be lost under heavy outgoing network traffic on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2263829

I would maybe concentrate on file versions and see if you have old or newer versions of the files effected.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 25, 2013 4:51 PM