none
create project web app instance with wildcard inclusion project server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best practise to create multiple PWA instenaces in One Webapplications? i uses /sites/ managed path to created PWA site collection but it does created it as Explicit inclusion Manged Path, which means i'm limited to 20 manged path. any advise?

Yasser

Friday, March 21, 2014 8:53 AM

Answers

• Yasser,

PWA is a site collection itself.  I understand you want to provision multiple PWA instances on the same Web Application.  (and you are sure about that choice, right?).

IMO the way to do this is NOT with managed paths, but simply from the root.

So your web application should have a root site and have a valid team site template applied. 

Then during Provisioning of each PWA instance you just need to use a different "pwa"

Provision 1st site:  http://myhostheaderurl/PWA (this is the default name and you do not have to use it, whatever you like : Dept1 or some such)

Provision the 2nd site: http://myhostheaderurl/PWA2 (must use a different name for each subsequent PWA instance)

You may have as many of these as you wish, since they are site collections (up to what 256K or some such).

Be aware that when you provision many PWA instances on the same web application, they all share everything at the web application level (permissions, solutions, etc.)

Also, be aware, that they will all land in the same content database unless you make arrangements otherwise (you can by manipulation force each into a separate content DB - which may be good, for possible splits / restores / etc... later).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

• Edited by ErockP3 Friday, March 21, 2014 3:14 PM grammar
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by HARAZIYM Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Monday, March 24, 2014 12:25 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:13 PM
  • Yasser,

You are right, /PWA is a managed path and is Explicit since it is a Site collection. At this point we are delving into SharePoint structure and architecture. Which method you select depends on a few factors. Do you need 20, 30, 50 or only 3 or 4 PWA instances? This raises other questions, such as are you sure you need that many PWA instances (are you a hosting company?) or should there be some consolidation of departments in order to take advantage of Project Server features? But presuming you have already made all these determinations and you still need many

PWA instances...

When you wish to create many (more than say 10) PWA instances you have several other factors to design. I hinted at one with all instances under a single Web Application sharing common security and solutions, etc…

So I have seen this problem solved in a few ways. For example: in setting up a training lab we created 10 PWA instances Lab01-Lab10 under the same web application. IMO this was appropriate since all the users / labs were going to be using the same exact logical “pwa” if you will - each lab user had their own copy, but they would be working under similar conditions.

However, when setting up different corporate departments, I have opted to use different Web Applications for example for the HR department and the IT department . So we created separate SharePoint Web Applications b/c each department had different needs and we wanted to isolate security and solutions.

You are also going to need to solve the question of HW resources.  Since there can be only 1 Project Server Service Application in a single SharePoint farm, and this means all PWA instances will use that set of services, you had better size your HW and number of servers appropriately.  For this reason I often suggest that each department bring their own HW to the party (BYOS = bring your own servers) and we add for example: 1 web +  1 app + 1 SQL for each new Department (more if they warrant it) and then we put all that Department's DB's on their own SQL server (or SQL instance if that's appropriate) in order to grant them enough processing for their needs.  By adding additional web / app servers we spread the load out for all users, but in particular we add resources to the farm to accommodate the new department's expected load on the overall system.

I have also toyed with the use of Host Header Site Collections, although I have not used that in practice.  However, I believe MS created this feature exactly to address this question.   Each site collection (PWA) has isolation, private DB, security, solutions, etc… but share a common root web application in SharePoint.  Of course many URL's will need to be registered and different processes will be needed other than the default provisioning page.  But it may address your concerns.

So as you can see, there may not be 1 right way to accomplish what you asked.  There are different ways, and even hybrids (like a few PWA instances on each of several web applications).

I would really suggest you work with a trusted partner who can help guide you through all of these determinations - not just on the technical side, but also on the business / logic and data flow side as well.  There may be many other factors that are part of the decisions when contemplating many PWA instances.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

• Edited by ErockP3 Monday, March 24, 2014 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:22 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:37 PM

All replies

• Yasser,

PWA is a site collection itself.  I understand you want to provision multiple PWA instances on the same Web Application.  (and you are sure about that choice, right?).

IMO the way to do this is NOT with managed paths, but simply from the root.

So your web application should have a root site and have a valid team site template applied. 

Then during Provisioning of each PWA instance you just need to use a different "pwa"

Provision 1st site:  http://myhostheaderurl/PWA (this is the default name and you do not have to use it, whatever you like : Dept1 or some such)

Provision the 2nd site: http://myhostheaderurl/PWA2 (must use a different name for each subsequent PWA instance)

You may have as many of these as you wish, since they are site collections (up to what 256K or some such).

Be aware that when you provision many PWA instances on the same web application, they all share everything at the web application level (permissions, solutions, etc.)

Also, be aware, that they will all land in the same content database unless you make arrangements otherwise (you can by manipulation force each into a separate content DB - which may be good, for possible splits / restores / etc... later).

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

• Edited by ErockP3 Friday, March 21, 2014 3:14 PM grammar
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by HARAZIYM Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Monday, March 24, 2014 12:25 PM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:13 PM
  • thansk for the reply, when i created teh PWAs via "Create Project Web App Instance " it waill created the path in the managed path so if i created 20 PWAs it will create 20 Managed Paths (which it is the limit), and not 256K ? so what is the correct way for the createtion of PWA Site.

Yasser

Sunday, March 23, 2014 4:58 AM
  • Yasser,

You are right, /PWA is a managed path and is Explicit since it is a Site collection. At this point we are delving into SharePoint structure and architecture. Which method you select depends on a few factors. Do you need 20, 30, 50 or only 3 or 4 PWA instances? This raises other questions, such as are you sure you need that many PWA instances (are you a hosting company?) or should there be some consolidation of departments in order to take advantage of Project Server features? But presuming you have already made all these determinations and you still need many

PWA instances...

When you wish to create many (more than say 10) PWA instances you have several other factors to design. I hinted at one with all instances under a single Web Application sharing common security and solutions, etc…

So I have seen this problem solved in a few ways. For example: in setting up a training lab we created 10 PWA instances Lab01-Lab10 under the same web application. IMO this was appropriate since all the users / labs were going to be using the same exact logical “pwa” if you will - each lab user had their own copy, but they would be working under similar conditions.

However, when setting up different corporate departments, I have opted to use different Web Applications for example for the HR department and the IT department . So we created separate SharePoint Web Applications b/c each department had different needs and we wanted to isolate security and solutions.

You are also going to need to solve the question of HW resources.  Since there can be only 1 Project Server Service Application in a single SharePoint farm, and this means all PWA instances will use that set of services, you had better size your HW and number of servers appropriately.  For this reason I often suggest that each department bring their own HW to the party (BYOS = bring your own servers) and we add for example: 1 web +  1 app + 1 SQL for each new Department (more if they warrant it) and then we put all that Department's DB's on their own SQL server (or SQL instance if that's appropriate) in order to grant them enough processing for their needs.  By adding additional web / app servers we spread the load out for all users, but in particular we add resources to the farm to accommodate the new department's expected load on the overall system.

I have also toyed with the use of Host Header Site Collections, although I have not used that in practice.  However, I believe MS created this feature exactly to address this question.   Each site collection (PWA) has isolation, private DB, security, solutions, etc… but share a common root web application in SharePoint.  Of course many URL's will need to be registered and different processes will be needed other than the default provisioning page.  But it may address your concerns.

So as you can see, there may not be 1 right way to accomplish what you asked.  There are different ways, and even hybrids (like a few PWA instances on each of several web applications).

I would really suggest you work with a trusted partner who can help guide you through all of these determinations - not just on the technical side, but also on the business / logic and data flow side as well.  There may be many other factors that are part of the decisions when contemplating many PWA instances.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

• Edited by ErockP3 Monday, March 24, 2014 6:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by HARAZIYM Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:22 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:37 PM
  • Thank you very much for the trough explanation<o:p></o:p>

Yasser

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:23 AM