Virtual PC and Windows XP mode on Windows 7 Ultimate RTM - getting "The update is not applicable to your computer" message. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to put windows XP mode on my Dell M90 and have followed the steps outline here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM and confirmed that VT was enabled using the "havdetectiontool.exe" tool (as mentioned in step 2)
    Then downloaded both files (for 64bit Ultimate/English).

The first file "Windows XP mode" installed successfully.

However the second "Windows Virtual PC" (Windows6.1-KB958559-x64) wont install and is showing the message "The update is not applicable to your computer".

What check is "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64" doing that is different to the VT check tool ("havdetectiontool") and is it possbile to bypass this check and force it to install (via a commandline switch) ?

Pete
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We will need to find out the reason it cannot be installed. Please check following things:

1. Please check if your system is a Windows 7 64bit system or not. If it is a 32 bit system, download the Windows6.1-KB958559-x86 instead.
    2. Have you enabled VT in BIOS?

Please understand that havdetectiontool is for checking if CPU support virtualization technology but Windows Virtual Machine will also check if the version you downloaded is for the system and if all needed things are ready.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Pete,

I searched for Dell M90 and found it is a T5500 CPU.

Not all T5500 CPU support Virtualization Technology. See here.

Important: Even if some models seem to support Intel VT, not all SKUs of the same model need do so (different sSpec#). Example: Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 seems to support Intel VT, but of the four models of this processor, only one (SL9U8) supports Intel VT.

As the tool said it support, go to BIOS to see if there is any related setting which can help enable VT. Generally VT option is disabled in BIOS by default.

If issue still exists, let me know if there is any further error message.

In addition you can try the Intel tool to check your CPU. Click here.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Hello,

Actually I have a T7600 chip in it  (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27257)

same message!

What check is "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64" doing that is different to the VT check tool ("havdetectiontool") and is it possbile to bypass this check and force it to install (via a commandline switch) ?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

We will need to find out the reason it cannot be installed. Please check following things:

1. Please check if your system is a Windows 7 64bit system or not. If it is a 32 bit system, download the Windows6.1-KB958559-x86 instead.
    2. Have you enabled VT in BIOS?

Please understand that havdetectiontool is for checking if CPU support virtualization technology but Windows Virtual Machine will also check if the version you downloaded is for the system and if all needed things are ready.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Hi!

I have the very same issue. I run on Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and done the following.

1. Got green light from the havdetectiontool.exe tool.
    2. Installed the Windows XP Mode pack.
    3. Tried to install Windows Virtual PC x64.

During the update part of step 3 i get "The update is not applicable to your computer".

To anwer your questions...

1. Yes, i run on Windows 7 x64. Checked by using properties on the "Computer".
    2. Yes, virtualization is turned on under CPU settings in the BIOS.

Hope to get a sollution for this.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:07 PM