none
DPM 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V, Exchange RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Check for the presents of this registry value. I'm thinking this is set in Windows 2012 so logs don't get truncated by default after host level backup.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1, application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server  that is running Hyper-V.  If set to 0, application logs with be truncated after virtual machine backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by CypherMike Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:34 AM
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi, one issue at a time... Host level backups are "just" copies of a vm. For exchange backups you must perform an exchange level backup. DPM is very good at doing those! It will then purge logs, show backup dates etc. If you don't want that then you might want to enable circular logging on exchange (understand the ramifications of that before switching on  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331958(v=exchg.141).aspx)

As for hyper-v level, what's your setup like? Iscsi? Fibre? Smb? What was the initial size of the vm? How large are the backups in dpm after initial replica creation? There are a lot of variables in this.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 7:34 PM
  • Hi, you're right let's forget for a second about the possible improvements and only focus on the Exchange issue.

Exchange is virtualised in our environment, this has been true when we were using DP 2010 and Windows Server 2008 R2. We only used host backup (no agent in the virtual machine) and backup worked great. I upgraded to DPM 2012 R2 and it still backed-up the databases and truncated the logs. I just recently upgraded our Hyper-V to 2012 R2 and now the backup of the Exchange VM completes, but the databases are not backed-up and logs are not truncated.

Sunday, December 29, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

Check for the presents of this registry value. I'm thinking this is set in Windows 2012 so logs don't get truncated by default after host level backup.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1, application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server  that is running Hyper-V.  If set to 0, application logs with be truncated after virtual machine backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by CypherMike Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:34 AM
    Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Thank you very much Mike, saved the day as always. I'd greatly appreciate if you could recommend some reading material, documentation relating to DPM, Windows Server Backup in general so I could gain more knowledge in this area.

As far as the performance improvements, it does seem to get better each day, so I'll leave it be for now.

EDIT: Mike do the changes as to how Windows Server 2012 R2 perform backups now as per: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=15759 have anything to do with why it didn't work for me? Can any additional documentation be provided regarding this?
    • Edited by CypherMike Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:57 AM
    Tuesday, December 31, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Cybermike,

Am I to understand that the registry setting did not help ?    If it did not help, please open a thread in the Windows backup forum.  All of this is outside of DPM control so the solution will need to come from the Windows folks.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:15 PM
  • It worked great, problem is solved.

Still I have no idea how you provided this solution and am wondering if additional material could be suggested so I don't have to ask the next time, but learn on my own.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

Some solutions come from experience.  8-) 

This particular solution is documented in the following Windows KB, but admit it's not any easy find.

975925 A hotfix is available that addresses the issues that occur when you perform a host-level backup of a Hyper-V VM on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975925/en-us

Added an announcement under the DPM Hyper-V topic so others who run into the issue can find this easier.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:17 PM