Paint Shop Pro reinstallation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I had to reinstall Windows 7 and all my programs. After reinstalling Paint Shop Pro, everytime I try to start it up it gives me this message: "This copy of Paint Shop Pro has been damages or illegally modified. Please reinstall from your original source". This program was installed and working perfectly in the first installation and now gives me this message. Any ideas as to why it's doing this. I've installed it three times from my origial source as well as my backup source.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi copppa,

Is the program you mentioned Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo? If so, according to Corel's website, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows XP, with latest service packs installed. Therefore, it is recommend contacting Corel directly to confirm whether the software is fully compatible with Windows 7.

If the software is not fully compatible with Windows 7, you may have to wait for Corel to publish the update. In the meantime, you can also try installing the software in the compatibility mode by referring to this article: Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:42 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi copppa,

Is the program you mentioned Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo? If so, according to Corel's website, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows XP, with latest service packs installed. Therefore, it is recommend contacting Corel directly to confirm whether the software is fully compatible with Windows 7.

If the software is not fully compatible with Windows 7, you may have to wait for Corel to publish the update. In the meantime, you can also try installing the software in the compatibility mode by referring to this article: Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, January 11, 2010 2:42 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Kind of old I know, but I found the solution.

At http://corel-paint-shop-pro.software.informer.com/wiki/, you'll find this:

Spyware allegations

Versions XI and X2 install a third party program named PSIService.exe, listed under Windows services as ProtexisLicensing. Written by Protexis, this runs in the background and collects licensing information. This program communicates with a remote host and is described in some posts as spyware. The Corel EULA does not reveal that installation of Version XI or X2 will result in the installation and continued background execution of this non-Corel program. Uninstalling XI or X2 will not uninstall PSIService.exe; and upon manually disabling the Protexis Licensing service, Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo will cease functioning, stating "This copy of Paint Shop Pro has been damaged or illegally modified. Please reinstall from your original source."

I got my paint shop pro x3 to run with a batch file like this:

net start "Protexis Licensing V2"
    "C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel PaintShop Photo Pro\X3\PSPClassic\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo.exe"
    net stop "Protexis Licensing V2"

That way, the spyware is only running when I need it to be.

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Firesteel:  Not that old of a problem, having amost a similiar problem, but not with Windows 7. Cannot reinstall a copy of PSP X11 in either XP or Vista from an online download. Copied the exe file to a CD, and keep getting a message similiar to the above, BUT THAT THERE IS A  MISSING CAB FILE. I've been to the Corel support site and they want a $15.00 service charge to let you download another PSPX11. Cold day in ____ before that happens. I'm going to look into the sypware issue as you state, if that's the case in going to post this to the PSP Group on FLICKR taht I belong to and see if anyone elese is up to snuff on this.  

Any other input on this ?

Saturday, July 3, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Well, there is good news and bad on the reinstallation issue in PSP. Some one in the  PSP Flickr Group suggested that I COPY the EXE. file to the harddrive then run the program. Worked like a charm! I aslo installed and an unpacking program WRAR341 or you could use Winzip to unpacked any files that need to be opened.

Bad news is that PSI is running in the background and could be the cause of performance issue's that user's experiencing with newer issues of PSP. I suggest that PSP user's Google PSI and get up to snuff on just what this program does and if it might be a source of some of the issue's relating to performance. I'm going to post this info on the FLICKR Group, as I don't think that user's are aware of this, neither was I.  

Sunday, July 4, 2010 1:09 PM