none
End User recovery windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I have enabled end user recovery in my DPM 2010. But I am still not able to see the previous recover points when I go into the properties of a protected folder. I am not sure what I am missing here. Do I need to install "shadow copy client" on windows server 2008 to be able to recovery points using end using recovery. 

Thanks. 

Monday, May 28, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• If your clients are running Windows 7, then install this fix on the clients.

2466048 Previous versions of a file or of a folder in a DFS share are not listed if you access the share through a nested DFS link from a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2466048

If you have Terminal Services Role installed, follow this:

969445 Previous versions disappear after installing Terminal Services role
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969445

Then, Check to be sure that "System" account has at least “read” and “list folder contents” permission on the root of the protected volume containng the shares.

For a share \\server\share, there is a corresponding share on the DPM server: \\<dpmserver>\server_share. Check if EUR tab shows up on the share on the DPM Server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Mike Thanks for the answer. 

I have installed the fix that you suggested but its still not working . 

I can see my backed up folder as \\dpm_server\server_name_protected_folder but that is happening in case when protected_folder is shared on the actual machine. 

Just want to mention here again that when I right click the folder I expect the protected version to appear in "restore previous versions". 

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Hi,

So, to be clear, if you protect a file servers volume (E:) and that volume has some shares (E:\Users\John and E:\Users\Mary), DPM will protect the entire E: volume and create end user shares for E:\Users\John and E:\Users\Mary on the DPM server, but files and folders not under any share (E:\NonShared\Data) will not be available for DPM End User recovery.

With that said, the process that makes DPM end user recovery work is:

1) For any share on the protected volume, DPM creates companion shares on the DPM Server.
    2) DPM adds entries in Active Directory (AD) which maps the protected server share to a DPM share.
    3) When a client machine accesses files under a protected share and looks for previous versions, the Client redirector looks for local shadow copies and if it finds any, populates previous versions from local disk.   If shadow copies are not enabled locally, the client then goes to active directory to see if there is a mapping for that share to a DPM share.  If not, no previous versions is shown.  If the AD mapping is present, the client is redirected to the DPM share, and gets a list of previous versions based on snapshots on the DPM Server.

So, we have three things to check.

1) DPM Share is created - Check.
    2) AD entry for share mapping - Need to Check.

Use the following cmdline:

dsquery  * cn=ms-sharemapconfiguration,cn=system,dc=X,dc=Y -attr ms-backupSrvShare ms-productionSrvShare

Replace the highlighted for your domain. The example is for domain X.Y

3)  AD has proper permissions - need to check.

Run AdsiEdit.msc

You should check for the security settings under
    DC=X, CN=System, CN=MS-ShareMapConfiguration

Right click on the MS-ShareMapConfiguration container and select properties (goto security tab).
    Ensure that the local system account for all DPM servers have been added

4) Shadow copies available on DPM Server - to check, from a client (or the DPM server itself) map a drive to the one of the DPM shares.

net use V: \\dpm_server\server_name_protected_folder
      In explorer, under V: look to see if previous versions are available for some files \ folders.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 1, 2012 6:07 PM