Exchange 2016 doesn't appear to handle ORAR (Originator Requested Alternate Recipient) correctly, it always sends to the ORAR address RRS feed

• Question

• In testing one of our gateway products we've noticed that Exchange 2016 always delivers messages with an alternate recipient to the alternate recipient regardless of whether the original recipient mailbox is available or not.

Exchange 2013 correctly only delivers the message to the alternate recipient if the original recipient mailbox is unavailable/invalid.

Is this a known problem or design change with Exchange 2016 (CU3)?

Also, both Exchange 2013 and 2016 no longer add the alternate recipient to the envelope recipient (X-Receiver XORAR) for messages going out from Exchange, though they both recognise it for incoming messages - though they do have it available in the TNEF content (albeit they're content recipients rather than envelope ones).

Friday, March 31, 2017 4:35 PM

All replies

• I have found no related update about Originator Requested Alternate Recipient.
    Or you can try upgrading the exchange 2016 cu5.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123498(v=exchg.141).aspx
    Monday, April 3, 2017 8:11 AM
  • CU5 is no different, the problem still exists.

If anyone wants to validate this on their Exchange 2016 system, modify the addresses for your system in the following text and drop it into your Ex2016 replay folder (normally: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Replay) as a .eml file.

In this example, the email should go to ValidRecipient@domain.com, but actually goes to the (X)ORAR recipient administrator@domain.com. Exchange 2013 does the correct thing and delivers to ValidRecipient@domain.com, and only delivers to the (X)ORAR recipient if the X-Receiver recipient mailbox is incorrect/unavailable.

X-CreatedBy: MSExchange12
    X-Sender: administrator@domain.com
    X-Receiver: ValidRecipient@domain.com NOTIFY=FAILURE XORAR=administrator@domain.com
    To: TheRecipient <ValidRecipient@domain.com>
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Subject: Test 1
    Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 01:02:03 +0100

Line1
    Line2
    Line3

• Edited by David LowndesMVP Monday, April 3, 2017 3:54 PM Missed mentioning EML file
    Monday, April 3, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Having contacted MS support it's taken 2 weeks for them to confirm that they can reproduce the issue and don't have a solution, only stating that XORAR isn't "supported" in Ex2016 so don't do it. I don't think it's ever been "supported", but there you go!

Friday, April 14, 2017 10:46 AM
  • Thank you for your kind feedback!

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 1:48 AM
  • It's not all over yet :)

I'll update this thread when I hear more about this problem.

Monday, April 17, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Look forward to your update.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by David Wang_ Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:13 AM
  • MS support say they can't get it fixed.

"As communicated by my Tech lead we have come to a situation wherein as Professional Support we are not able to resolve this issue, as the Exchange 2016 no longer features with XORAR recipient.
    If it is a necessity for you organization I would request you to contact Premier support."

I'm informed that "Premier support" equates to "you fund us to consider putting it back" - big bucks.

A very poor conclusion for a facility that's worked from Ex2007...Ex2013, has no alternative (none was forthcoming from MS), and is badly broken in Ex2016 in that it now does the wrong thing.

You must do better than this MS.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:23 PM
  • Hello David,

First, please assure that Microsoft is always do the best to provide good products to customers and is always trying to improve these products.
    Also, as a support engineer, I will try my best to assist you.

As they said, if it's a 
    terrible problem in your organization, we will submit your request with Premier support.
    Then, those support engineers will do more test, double confirm, and fix it in next CU may be.
    Therefore, you can reply his e-mail or Phone if necessary, to contact Premier support.

By the way, don't forget to share the solution with us, Thanks for your cooperation. :)

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Monday, April 24, 2017 2:53 PM