none
Cannot Join Windows 7 HomeGroup; Searched everywhere; no luck RRS feed

• Question

• Another poster wrote up almost the same story as mine.  I thank BadMonkey for much of the dialog below.  He was able to fix his issue by removing AVG.  Unfortunately, I do not have AVG.

Here's my story.

My issue:
    I have 4 Windows 7 PCs; one is a Home Theatre PC and three are laptops.  I create the homegroup on the HTPC which acts as a media server.  At anytime it would seem that 2 of the 4 laptops have options to join the homegroup and can join without issue.  The other laptop is only ever given an option to create a no homegroup because it cannot find an existing one on the network.  

Details:
    - The HTPC is Windows 7 Professional (64 bit), running Norton Internet Security latest version.  I disabled firewall and anti-virus during troubleshooting.

- The laptop (that CURRENTLY fails to join) is Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), running Norton Internet Security latest version.  I disabled firewall and anti-virus during troubleshooting.

- Both computers can see each other over the local network.  I can Ping back and forth.
    - IPv6 is enabled on both.
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents key does not exist on either machine
    - Network type is set to 'Home' on both.
    - Network discovery is ON on both computers.
    - 128-bit encryption is ON on both computers.
    - Password protected sharing is OFF on both computers.
    - Windows is set to manage the homegroup.
    - Workgroup is same on both computers

-Clocks are within seconds of each other 
    - I ran the Home Group troubleshooter on both computers.  This has never helped.
    - Router is Linksys e3000

Services running on both computers (Set to Automatic):
    - DNS Client 
    - Function Discovery Provider Host 
    - Function Discovery Resource Publication 
    - Peer Networking Grouping 
    - HomeGroup Provider 
    - HomeGroup Listener 
    - SSDP Discovery 
    - UPnP Device Host 

Sometimes after having all the computers leave the homegroup, I can recreate the homegroup and a different set of the laptops will see the new homegroup.  Afterward, the HTPC will occasionally appear under the Homegroup icon in Explorer on the laptops that could join, but sometimes the HTPC will not appear.  This is intermittent and random.  

I recently reimaged the Windows 7 laptop (described above) but it does not seem to have had any positive or negative impact on this issue.

I'm not completely sure that the Windows 7 laptop is to blame.  Is it possible that my router is causing the issue?  I also have intermittent issues with my wireless printer.  4 out of 5 times, I have to use the USB connection because it fails to print over the network.

What else can I try?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you use wireless for your devices, you can change it to network cable for check. I suspect there may be something wrong in your wireless connection. The culprit may be the router or wireless device.

If the issue persist after you using networ cable. You should change others router for check.

Finally, please update your printer driver, network driver to the latest for check.

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:31 AM