DVD drive dissappeared from the computer window RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason, Vista doesn't show the DVD drive anymore. It showed it yesterday... (computer is new)
    The drive opens and closes alright, and it spins the disk when I put it in.
    Anyway, I wen't to the BIOS menu thing and the DVD drive was still on the list.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4600 2.40GHz
    HDD: Hitachi 160GB
    RAM: Crucial 2GB
    GPU(s): ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (2 of them in crossfire mode)
    Motherboard: ECS Elitegroup KA3 MVP Extreme

EDIT: Also, it says that there is a floppy drive, but my computer doesn't have one

Saturday, December 15, 2007 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hello Zhanshi,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, the system may regard the CD/DVD drive as floppy drive. Please try steps below to check it:

1.    In Device Manager, Please uninstall the floppy drive.

2.    In Action menu, select Scan for hardware changes.

3.    Wait for the scan result, if the CD/DVD drive is detected, follow the wizard to reinstall it.

Note: If there is a driver disk shipped with the CD/DVD drive, please use it when system asks you to choose the driver.

If the problem persists, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hello Zhanshi,

Thanks for your post!

According to your description, the system may regard the CD/DVD drive as floppy drive. Please try steps below to check it:

1.    In Device Manager, Please uninstall the floppy drive.

2.    In Action menu, select Scan for hardware changes.

3.    Wait for the scan result, if the CD/DVD drive is detected, follow the wizard to reinstall it.

Note: If there is a driver disk shipped with the CD/DVD drive, please use it when system asks you to choose the driver.

If the problem persists, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:43 AM
  • I have the same problem and when i delete the floppy drive as you described and scan for hardware it just pops right back ind.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 6:32 PM