none
getting protection status using cmdlets/powershell DPM2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I frequently get an email warning me that a recovery point was not created(backup failed). However, when i log in and check the status, everything is okay. I know this is because of the "auto-heal" feature of DPM2010. 95% of the time DPM can correct itself and i didn't have to do anything, which is great news. However, now i don't have any good way of knowing when my DPM server truly needs attention. 

Is there any cmdlet command i can use to check the status of all my replica every morning? My backup job should be all done by 8 am, and I'd really like to get an email only when DPM can NOT fix its own problem, and need manual intervention. I'm familiar with powershell, but i just don't know what cmdlet(or combination of cmdlets) to use. 

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:45 PM

Answers

• I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for, but you can pull up a list of all available recoverypints using the following procedure.

From the DPM Management Shell

$pg = get-protectiongroup DPMSERVERNAME

$ds = get-datasource $pg[INDEX]

$rp = get-recoverypoint $ds[INDEX]

$rp

You will need to replace the word INDEX with the actual index of the protection group and data source that you are looking for

The way I usually find the index is just by listing the array variables wih no sorting options (ex: "$pg") and counting down the list starting at 0 until you reach the item that you are looking for. This works for me on small lists, but im sure theres a better way for longer arrays.

keep in mind if you want to use this in a powershell script you will first have to load the DPM snap-in with the following command.

add-PSSnapin Microsoft.DataProtectionManager.PowerShell

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:01 PM