A link has changed its path by itself RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In a SharePoint 2013 site I created a page and inserted a couple of links to word documents saved in the same application. It worked fine at the beginning, but after 2-3 days stopped working and the link point to a blank page.
    When I checked the URL I have inserted when I created the links I found very long and strange one. See the example below:

I inserted this URL: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+

After a couple of days I found this URL instead: 

/sites/vellinge/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/Gemensam%20lagring/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=/sites/vellinge/Gemensam%20lagring/Applications/A%2B&FolderCTID=0x012000F40EA905ADED3E45BE5A970A8B948172&View=%7bC707EE49-7577-4486-A499-CFF78BCA8926%7d

Any idea why it changed and how to avoid this issue?

Thank you in advance
    //Ashraf

Friday, August 26, 2016 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi Asharf,

From your description, it is working when you change the URL to the original one  /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+.

Navigate to a page with the issued URL, choose the link and you can see the URL of the link, please offer the issued URL here to further troubleshoot the issue.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Ashraf,

Its not possible that SharePoint automatically change the URL . Unless someone made the changes.

Correct me if i am wrong, you added URL inside a word document and saved it. After 2 or 3 days that URL got changed. Correct?

Mark it as an answer if it helped you out. Regards Rahul Dagar

Friday, August 26, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi Rahul,

I know it sound incredible but it's true, the links changed by it selves. I have inserted more than 20 links (URL) in different pages in the same site collection and all of them stopped working after a couple of days. Here I'll try to describe below my steps to create those links.

I have created many pages in my wiki site collection. In every page I have information about something and in the button of every page:

- I inserted few link by using "Insert link from SharePoint"
    - From "Select an Asset" I point the folder there I have the documents and then I copy the URL from from "Location (URL)" the I chose "Cancel"
    - I click on insert link again and I chose "From Address" this time
    - I insert then the URL into address field as you see below:

That's all. It works for a time and then just stopped working and the same for all my links.

Best regards
    //Ashraf

Friday, August 26, 2016 10:38 AM
  • Hi Ashraf,

From your description, I think the link has not changed its path.

Because when you click the link: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+

It will be navigated to: /sites/vellinge/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/Gemensam%20lagring/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=/sites/vellinge/Gemensam%20lagring/Applications/A%2B&FolderCTID=0x012000F40EA905ADED3E45BE5A970A8B948172&View=%7bC707EE49-7577-4486-A499-CFF78BCA8926%7d

It is equivalent to the URL: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+

For your issue, navigate to the page where you insert the link, choose the link and you can see the URL of the link, make sure the URL is: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:09 AM
  • Hi Lisa,
    If the link was equivalent then it should be showing the same page, right? But the problem is that the new link shows me "Page not found" 

Best Regards

//Ashraf

Thursday, September 1, 2016 6:10 AM
  • Hi Ashraf,

Yes, it should be showing the same page.

For your issue "Page not found", maybe someone changed the URL on the page, So I let you check whether the URL is changed in the page.

Navigate to the page where you insert the link, choose the link and you can see the URL of the link, make sure the URL is: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+

Or someone changed/deleted the URL of the page, check whether you can access the URL directly.

Navigate to http://sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ from the browser directly to see whether the page still exists.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, September 1, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

I have already checked the URL and there is no one has changed it because as I mentioned in my case all the links (more than 20-30 links in different pages) have been changed.

The link /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ cannot be used directly at the URL field because it's an internal link and you should add the https://sitename.domain.se/ to it in order to get an complete URL. You may try to do the same in your SharePoint web and you'll see what I mean.

The whole URL https://sitename.domain.se/sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ works fine in any browser.

Regards
    Ashraf

Thursday, September 1, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Hi Ashraf,

Yes, I know, that is to say you can access to https://sitename.domain.se/sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ in the browser.

And there is no one has changed the URL in the page: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A

I can't reproduce your issue in my SharePoint 2013.

Per my test, when I add a link with the URL: /sites/team/Shared%20Documents/Applications/A in a page.

When I click the link, it navigate to: http://sp/sites/team/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/Shared%20Documents/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2fsites%2fteam%2fShared%20Documents%2fApplications%2fA&FolderCTID=0x01200039D00FB26FEB41489F425D3D1F60A02D and it works fine.

For your issue, try to add a link with the URL: /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ in the page again and check whether it works.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, September 2, 2016 1:53 AM
  • Hi As

When you access the URL: https://sitename.domain.se/sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+ from browser, check the entire URL in the browser.

And compare the difference between the URL which is not work in your browser :

https://sitename.domain.se/sites/vellinge/_layouts/15/start.aspx#/Gemensam%20lagring/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=/sites/vellinge/Gemensam%20lagring/Applications/A%2B&FolderCTID=0x012000F40EA905ADED3E45BE5A970A8B948172&View=%7bC707EE49-7577-4486-A499-CFF78BCA8926%7d

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:06 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your commitments.
    Of course it works if I change the URL to the original one  /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+. This was the first thing I did when I discovered the issue. I have as I mentioned before about 30 links to change and I can just change them and that's it but I am keen to find out why it was so as to avoid similar problems in the future.

Best Regards
    Ashraf

Friday, September 2, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Hi Asharf,

From your description, it is working when you change the URL to the original one  /sites/vellinge/customers.mgmtnet.se%20(Vellinge)/Applications/A+.

Navigate to a page with the issued URL, choose the link and you can see the URL of the link, please offer the issued URL here to further troubleshoot the issue.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:57 AM