none
Move messages from Edge Transport server to Hub server to resend through new connector

Question

• Good afternoon!

I just ran across an interesting thing: I had some messages to a known good server hang up in my Edge Transport servers.  I created a new Send Connector in ECP for the destination and mail now flows freely (except for the greylisting done at the destination server).  

If I wanted to retrieve the messages stuck in the Edge Transport queue and re-queue them on the Hub Transport servers that have the new send connector, how would I do it?  I don't see anything obvious in either Exchange Toolbox, ECP or PowerShell.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Gregg

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Gregg,

As I am concerned, if the message has been delivered to Edge server, it could not be flow back to hub server. We suggest you troubleshoot why the message hang in Edge server.

We could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Run “Get-ServerComponentState –Identity <Edge server>” to make sure all server components are active
    2. Disable Windows firewall to have a try 
    3. Check if there is NDR when the message hang
    4. Check if there are any errors in application log on Edge server

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by gregg_hughes Monday, February 15, 2016 10:36 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 3:03 AM

All replies

• Check out this article, I think the information you're interested in is "Resubmit messages in queues":

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125022(v=exchg.150).aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:06 AM
  • Hi Gregg,

As I am concerned, if the message has been delivered to Edge server, it could not be flow back to hub server. We suggest you troubleshoot why the message hang in Edge server.

We could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Run “Get-ServerComponentState –Identity <Edge server>” to make sure all server components are active
    2. Disable Windows firewall to have a try 
    3. Check if there is NDR when the message hang
    4. Check if there are any errors in application log on Edge server

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

• Marked as answer by gregg_hughes Monday, February 15, 2016 10:36 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Good afternoon, Jim!

Here's what happened - 

We have a two-level structure, with the Edge Transport servers in the DMZ and Mailbox/CAS servers in the Production network.  I inserted a send connector on the two Mailbox/CAS servers instructing them to do an internal DNS lookup and send directly to the target server in another, separate DMZ for customer servers.

Apparently some of the messages were sent through the connector which delivered fine.  Other messages were sent through the Edge Transport servers in the DMZ - which did not have a known route to the target server.  Solution was to add a firewall rule opening up between the main DMZ and the secondary DMZ for the target server.  I just had a slew of delayed messages deliver to the mailbox on that target server.

I do wonder why the Send Connector seemed to pick and choose which messages to send directly and which to route through the Edge servers.......now where does Exchange hide those logs??

Thanks!

Gregg

Monday, February 15, 2016 10:42 PM
  • If you enable protocol logging on a send connector, the logging is performed to the location specified in a property of the send connector.  They're not hidden anywhere.  If you don't enable protocol logging, all you have are message tracking logs.

Your send connectors dictate how outbound messages are to be routed.  You might examine their settings.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, February 15, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Thanks, Ed!

I found the logs in the default location C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Edge\Connectivity.  It took a while to find but I know where they are now.

Thanks very much for your help!

Gregg

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Good afternoon, Jim!

Here's what happened - 

We have a two-level structure, with the Edge Transport servers in the DMZ and Mailbox/CAS servers in the Production network.  I inserted a send connector on the two Mailbox/CAS servers instructing them to do an internal DNS lookup and send directly to the target server in another, separate DMZ for customer servers.

Apparently some of the messages were sent through the connector which delivered fine.  Other messages were sent through the Edge Transport servers in the DMZ - which did not have a known route to the target server.  Solution was to add a firewall rule opening up between the main DMZ and the secondary DMZ for the target server.  I just had a slew of delayed messages deliver to the mailbox on that target server.

I do wonder why the Send Connector seemed to pick and choose which messages to send directly and which to route through the Edge servers.......now where does Exchange hide those logs??

Thanks!

Gregg

Hi Gregg,

In order to avoid confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps, we usually troubleshoot one issue per thread in order to find a resolution efficiently. Concerning your other question, we suggest we create a new post.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:20 AM