Folder inside document library requires authentication? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Sharepoint 2007 for our website, and have a folder named Announcements inside of Shared Documents on one of our sites. Unauthenticated users can read Shared Documents, but are required to log in to view the Announcements folder or any of its contents. We would like for the Announcements folder to be accessible by unauthenticated users, as it holds content that needs to be accessible from our home page. The only difference in permissions between the library and the folder is the folder has an added group that is allowed to contribute. Any ideas?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:45 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to make the Announcement folder open to all users then you can click on the drop down of the Authenticated folders and select manage permissions and add the Group - Nt Authority\Authenticated users to the permissions group with the desired permissions . Read\contribute.

Hope this Helps

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:51 PM
  • I need the announcements folder to be able to be read by unauthenticated users to though, just like th Shared Documents library containing it is.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Okay.. Click on the Drop down for the announcement folder - Select Manage permissions - from that page click on Actions Drop down and select Inherit permissions from Parent. It will copy the permissions from Shared documents to the announcement folder. Hope this helps.
    Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Zoeb S Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:00 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:00 PM
  • That would work, but I need that folder to have the additon of a security group to have contribute rights, so I cannot simply inherit permissions.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:04 PM
  • You will have to do one additional step, once you inherit the permissions from Parent site. All the users will be having access to the announcement folder . So now if you want to add that another group with contribute rights then again to the annoucement folder permissions - Click on Action again and say Edit Permissions, this will break the inheritance then you can add that group with contribute permissions.

This way all Authenticated users will be added as well as your other group with Contribute access.

OR (If this is confusing)

WHen you go to the Shared document permissions what all permissions do you see ?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:11 PM
  • I tried that, but no luck.  They now have completley identicle permissions, with the exception of the one contributing group.
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you to follow these steps:

1. Break the permissions of the announcements from shared documents. 

2. Now enable anonymous access to both these places:

Refer this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-sharepoint-services-help/enable-anonymous-access-HA010113018.aspx

3. Now provide contribute access to your security group as well.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 6:55 PM
  • Didn't quite work.  When trying to enable anonymous access on the folder, there is no settings option, just new and actions.

Friday, September 9, 2011 4:07 PM