none
Incremental backup option greyed out? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm just wondering why the option to do incremental backups is always greyed out when manually creating a recovery point?
    The dialog box indicates that it is due to the protection group settings, but I haven't been able to find anything among those.

Best Regards,
    Mikael Andersson

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For BMR Backup DPM 2010 use Windows Server Backup and on Windows Server Backup the only possibility to create a BMR Backup is to create a new full Backup.

For Exchange Server, DPM 2010 use Exchange log to create incremental backup for exchange Data Base.

For SQL Server, DPM 2010 use SQL Log to create Incremental backup for SQL Data Base, but to be able to use incremental backup for SQL with DPM 2010, the data base recovery model on SQL Server must be  FULL OR BULK_LOGGED.

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.

• Edited by Oussema Fekih Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stuvning Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

the incremental backup option depends on the type of data you will backup, For example, for a server running SQL Server, it’s a log file backup; but for System State backup you have only the possibility to create a full backup.

What is the type of your data? Data Base or files ...?

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

the incremental backup option depends on the type of data you will backup.

What is the type of your data? Data Base or files ...?

Regards,

I've looked at different kinds of data: BMR, database but for exchange the option for incremental is available. So it's just available for specific types of data?
    Previous backups I've run on BMR for example seem to be incremental though. Or is this a different matter?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

For BMR Backup DPM 2010 use Windows Server Backup and on Windows Server Backup the only possibility to create a BMR Backup is to create a new full Backup.

For Exchange Server, DPM 2010 use Exchange log to create incremental backup for exchange Data Base.

For SQL Server, DPM 2010 use SQL Log to create Incremental backup for SQL Data Base, but to be able to use incremental backup for SQL with DPM 2010, the data base recovery model on SQL Server must be  FULL OR BULK_LOGGED.

Regards,

• Edited by Oussema Fekih Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stuvning Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:26 AM
  • Having the same problem here.

Hourly recovery point sync (aka incremental backup, aka TLog backup) in MABS isn’t working for many databases.  It’s falsely stating that the database doesn’t support incremental backup due to a protection group setting.  There is no protection group setting for individual databases.  I’ve tried running a full backup, had our DBA check permissions and recovery model is full.  There’s something wrong here.  It’s not scheduling recovery point syncs for these DBs.  Does anyone know why ?

-- huddie71 ~~If you~re not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn~t be here.~~

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 12:26 PM
  • If you added the database to the PG while the database was configured as a "Simple" logging database and have since changed it, you will need to remove and reconfigure the protection for the database as that setting is only  queried when the database is added to the PG.  Additionally, if you do not have a synchronization frequency setup (set to synchronize prior to backup), this may also be disabled.

To test this, make sure the database is now in Full or Bulk-logging and that the protection group has a synchronization schedule setup

1. Remove the database from active protection (you can retain the backups)
    2. When you go to readd the database, select the server and click "Refresh" at the bottom (you may need to expand/unexpand the server or other items to get the refresh button to highlight)
    3. Re-add the database
    4. After it performs the consistency check, see if it then allows you to do incremental backups

• Proposed as answer by huddie71 Friday, April 17, 2020 12:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2020 2:02 PM
  • If you added the database to the PG while the database was configured as a "Simple" logging database and have since changed it, you will need to remove and reconfigure the protection for the database as that setting is only  queried when the database is added to the PG.  Additionally, if you do not have a synchronization frequency setup (set to synchronize prior to backup), this may also be disabled.

To test this, make sure the database is now in Full or Bulk-logging and that the protection group has a synchronization schedule setup

1. Remove the database from active protection (you can retain the backups)
    2. When you go to readd the database, select the server and click "Refresh" at the bottom (you may need to expand/unexpand the server or other items to get the refresh button to highlight)
    3. Re-add the database
    4. After it performs the consistency check, see if it then allows you to do incremental backups

Thanks @Jakeman95.  That worked.  Other backup products I've used (e.g., CommVault, NetBackup) automatically check the recovery model every time a DB's backed up.  Can't see any reason why MABS can't do this too.

-- huddie71 ~~If you~re not seeking help or offering it, you probably shouldn~t be here.~~

Friday, April 17, 2020 12:45 PM