How can I add a networked folder shortcut to the start menu? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a small business with about 5 computers and a small server.

All our documents are located on the server which is then backed up regularly.

Each staff member has their own folder on the network.

What I wanted to was place a shortcut to the users personal folder on the Start Menu. However Windows 7 won't allow me to do this. I have tried placing the shortcuts in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and then when I click the start button -- Programs right clicking on the shortcut hoping the "pin to start menu" is there, but it is not.

I have also tried dragging the shortcut from the "All Programs" section of the start menu, over the "Back" and then moving it to the top of the start menu. All I get is a red x, or if I hover the shortcut over a program it asks me do I want to open the shortcut with whatever program it is being hovered over.

With Windows XP Pro this was never a problem, quite the opposite. It was extremely easy.

Surely the end user has the right to decide what shortcuts are placed on his or her's own start menu?

Thank you,

Monday, August 22, 2011 8:38 AM

Answers

• How about a Desktop shortcut, as DirtyOleBeggar pointed out? This has to be the most convenient way to get to the folder. Is there any technical limitation that prevents you from implementing this?

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:51 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:16 AM

All replies

• Not so sure there is an option to place a folder shortcut within Windows 7 Start Menu that I know of.

You can definitely create one on the desktop though just right click the folder click send to, then click desktop (create shortcut)

Forgot there is one thing you can do (its not the start menu but..) you can drag the folder to the task bar, what this will do is place it within the Windows Explorer icon on the task bar and can be accessed by a right click on the explorer icon which will show the folder you placed there.

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Edited by DirtyOleBeggar Monday, August 22, 2011 7:27 PM added additional information
    • Proposed as answer by DirtyOleBeggar Tuesday, September 6, 2011 11:14 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi "DirtyOleBeggar",

Thank you so much for your response.

It isn't exactly what I was after though. I am aware that you can pin these to the Windows Explorer. Although in my case - I no sooner pin something and the next time I open up a location the pinned site dissapears and is replaced by the current one.

That is why I was hopng to pin directly to the Start Menu as they don't seem to dissapear that way.

Thanks again though for replying.

Cheers,

Friday, September 2, 2011 12:46 AM
  • How about a Desktop shortcut, as DirtyOleBeggar pointed out? This has to be the most convenient way to get to the folder. Is there any technical limitation that prevents you from implementing this?

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:51 AM
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hey Baba how did you link your wiki article to your sig? I can not seem to get mine to work.
    Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.  My Technet Wiki:
    • Edited by DirtyOleBeggar Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:27 PM figured it out :)
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Moderator: Please mark DirtyOleBeggar's reply as the answer, not mine! :) I was only supporting his statement and convincing the question asker to follow his instruction, thanks!
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 10:22 PM