none
Group Policy Autoplay doesn't work with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10

Question

• First of all, sorry my poor English. Recently my customer bought two Windows Server 2016 Standard and I have a general group policy to disable autoplay and autorun in all computers in this network. Of course, I have an Active Directory implemented with two DCs, one with W2K8R2 and another with W2K12R2. I´ve downloaded the new ADMX files for Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 "www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430" and created a Central Store and I followed all steps by the book. This Group Policy works well in all versions of Windows 2012/8.1 and below, but doesn´t work in Windows version 2016/10. I reaserched in the Internet for a similiar problem and I didn´t find anything about this. Does anybody have a clue for this problem??? Any help are welcome.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    First of all, before we go further, please:
    1. Check if the windows server 2016 and windows 10 machines are joined to domain successfully.
    2. Run gpresult /h command to view the detail group policy and see if the GPO is applied successfully. If not, please refer to the following article and check:
    10 Common Problems Causing Group Policy To Not Apply
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    3. If the GPO is applied, please check the DisableAutoplay registry under the following path and see if it is set to 1: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Mathia5 Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:39 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mathia5 Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:42 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hello Wendy:

Sorry for I didn´t introduce myself yet, but I am a MCT and MCSA for more than 15 years. I am not a begginer. So, of course that I did all of your suggested steps. Did you do a test in your lab enviroment to check this problem or to see if this problem happens with you??? My intention with this report is to show a serious problem/bug in Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 and I hope that Microsoft fixs this bug. Who knows which more problems will there be in the group policy application in this versions of Windows??? I didn´t test this Group Policy in an enviroment where all servers are Windows Server 2016 version yet, but I will do this soon. If you could test this Group Policy in your lab enviroment and send me a report, I will be gratefull. Thanks.

Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:53 PM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, it seems to be a potential bug of Windows 10 according the similar thread as below, but not sure for windows server 2016:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5545634f-8ba1-447a-b45c-7835728f2d9b/windows-10-autoplay-autoplay-policies-gpo?forum=winserverGP
    And regarding the bug, we suggest to submit the feedback via Windows feedback App in Windows 10 or the following website: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback
    In addition, we will try to test in a lab and see if the same behavior will be returned on the windows server 2016, and you could offer us the detail group policy settings for better test.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Thanks to find a post with the same problem like mine. The first problem like this was reported in december/2015 to Microsoft and until now Microsoft didn´t fix it. My goodness!!!
    I just finished a test where all servers were Windows 2016 version and the problem persisted, so it is a bug. The Group Policy of my test was almost equal than Group Policy of the post that you mentioned, except that I only configured "Turn Off AutoPlay on: all Drivers" and "Default Autorun Behavior: Do not execute any autorun commands", if you want to test in your lab enviroment. Can you report this directly to Microsoft??? Thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Antonio
    Monday, January 16, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Hi

Maby you can check the gpo wmi filter?

So... To have a WMI filter that matches Windows 7 or later (including Windows 10) then you need to use the following WMI filter:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version line "10.%" or Version >="6.1"

Regards

Davy

Please mark my reply as answer when it helps you.

Monday, January 16, 2017 2:28 PM
  • Hi Davy:

Thanks for your idea, but I don´t use WMI Filters in this network. In fact, this policy is applied normaly in all servers and workstations, but simply doesn´t work as expected in Windows 2016/10 versions.

Best Regards

Antonio

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Hi Antonio,
    Appreciate for the test and feedback, generally, we suggest customer report the bug in the following website: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback, or you could open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get more information from product team regarding this problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support
    And we would also try to involve the related the team and engineer for further check, thanks for the understanding and cooperation.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:01 AM
  • I've experienced this same issue with multiple versions of Windows 10, including 1703, while using the most recent ADMX templates.  Has there been any update on this by chance?
    Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:35 PM
  • There is a Problem with Group policy all over since Windows 10. I have a problem since windows 10 where computer policy applies and User policy doesnt and with all the updates still no fix. So i am with you my brother. What would be the next step.
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 12:10 PM
  • This is the way to set it manually and it works. But the GPO does not work with Windows 1703 and the corresponding GPO-Templates. And for those who want to set it manually as I just did, it's a DWORD value.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 10:41 AM
  • Same here... Win 10 v1709 using latest ADMX on a Server 2016 domain, doesn't turn off and gray out the AutoPlay setting in the GUI. I've tried setting it both at the Machine and User level, separately and together. This specific policy appears to still be broken. Does anyone at MS with the power to fix things pay attention to this site or are we just typing at the wind?
    Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Am 14.04.2018 um 14:35 schrieb Forum11:
    > Same here...
    You need to use the Feedback Hub from Windwos 10. Thats the only place
    for Bug or Wishreporting.

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

GET Privacy and DISABLE Telemetry on Windows 10

Sunday, April 15, 2018 8:22 AM
  • Well, not the only place. After my comment here I found this thread: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5545634f-8ba1-447a-b45c-7835728f2d9b/windows-10-autoplay-autoplay-policies-gpo?forum=winserverGP

And as you can see there, the moderator said "I have submitted this to the product group through our internal channel. " Of course that was back in late 2015.

As for the Feedback Hub, it is not well designed for business and enterprise systems feedback. It feels like handing an infant's Fisher-Price toy to a college student and expecting them to write their thesis with it!

Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:06 PM
  • Am 15.04.2018 um 17:06 schrieb Forum11:
    > And as you can see there, the moderator said "I have submitted this to
    > the product group through our internal channel. "

ok, you can take this and believe in Santa Claus ...

> As for the Feedback Hub, it is not well designed for business [...]

Wishlist/Reports about Feedback Hub are aswell reported on Feedback Hub ;-)

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

GET Privacy and DISABLE Telemetry on Windows 10

Sunday, April 15, 2018 7:07 PM