Unable to Edit Outlook Contact Notes RRS feed

• Question

• I have several users that use Outlook 2013, we are setup on an Exchange 2010 server. These users prefer to use Address Cards. On some (Not all) they cannot edit the contents of the Notes field. They can highlight the text there, but make no changes. I am at a complete loss as to what can be causing this.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Brett Gorzelsky,

What’s the detailed version of Outlook 2013? 

Can they edit the Note field on the web mail?

We can try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

If issue persists, we can also create a new profile to see if it was related with your personal settings.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, February 4, 2019 5:36 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2019 2:09 AM
  • Hi Brett Gorzelsky,

There was a known issue that after updating Outlook to build 16.0.11126.20266, you may not be able to edit the Notes field of some contacts. Please check the details in this link. If you're using an Office 365 or an Outlook.com account, you can edit your contacts by using the web.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 4, 2019 7:07 AM
  • The detail version is 15.0.5101.1000.

I have tried Safe Mode and that did not help.

I exported to the contacts to a PST and moved to another computer and I still could not edit them.

I did discover that if i export them to csv and re-import them I can edit them. But it loses any graphics that are in there.

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:08 PM
  • Hi Brett Gorzelsky,

Sorry for the late reply because of Chinese Lunar New Year.

According to my research, the root cause of the issue is related to the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property. So, its likely it would affect all versions. As another workaround, you may go through the post of Gabriel Bratton to remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property using MFCMAPI or the add-in mentioned by him. 

Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Note: The link above mainly talks about Outlook 365, but this issue is due to a security change so it's likely it would affect all versions including Outlook 2013. 

I'll post back here once I get any further update on this issue. 

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:02 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:54 AM