Poor Greeting call quality RRS feed

• Question

• We are starting our enteprise voice pilot and have found an issue that I can't find a solution to. The problem is that for whatever reason, the quality of recorded greetings is poor. Specifically, "s" sounds become very staticy when played back.

We've tried recording with different devices (CX600, wired headsets, bluetooth headsets) and different methods (calling voicemail from the phone directly, via OWA as the user).  We can't figure out a way to improve this.

What is odd is that when the greeting is recorded and played back, it is perfect. Couldn't be better quality. It is only after saving it and playing it back it becomes poor. I feel like it is an issue with the codec or compression?

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:55 PM

Answers

• It looks like that the custom greeting is recorded and saved as .wav file. and the .wav file uses the Linear PCM (16 bit/sample), 8 kilohertz (kHz) audio codec.

I think the IP phone record the custom greeting with different audio codec. when you commit it, the record greeting is converted and compressed to .wav file. After that, the voice quality became to be pool.

I find a blog about how to record high quality UM greeting , hoping it can help you. But I do not find where the personal greeting is stored in of UM server. So I suggest you post the question to Exchange UM forum that you can get more help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrunifiedmessaging/threads

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:57 AM

All replies

• What are the specifications of your Exchange UM Server?
    How is the network connectivity between the Lync Servers,End-Points and the UM?
    What version of Exchange UM have you deployed and what is the patch level?

In my experience this can be the result of poorly configured or spec'd Exchange UM, or poor connectivity between the endpoints. Do you experience similar quality issues on any Lync Calls and have you checked the Monitoring Logs for performance issues?

http://blog.sortedit.net - all posts provided "as is"
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hi Johan,

The Exchange UM server is running Exchange 2010 SP1 CU 3, and is fully patched. It is running as a virtual host on a Hyper-V server, which we've configured according to MS best practices for that. It does not to appear to be resource constrained in any way--plenty of RAM, processor, disk IO, etc.

The UM server is on the same network and physical switch as the Lync servers, and accessible on the same network as the clients end points.  There is no similar quality issue on Lync calls--they work perfect. There are no related errors in the logs (that I've been able to identify).

As I mentioned, it seems as though the server records it fine--the quality issue is only introduced when it commits it.

Any idea where Exchange stores the audio file? I can't seem to find this online. My guess is that it's fine in memory but when written (where ever it goes to) the problem is being introduced. I'd like to try to find that location.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:39 PM
  • It looks like that the custom greeting is recorded and saved as .wav file. and the .wav file uses the Linear PCM (16 bit/sample), 8 kilohertz (kHz) audio codec.

I think the IP phone record the custom greeting with different audio codec. when you commit it, the record greeting is converted and compressed to .wav file. After that, the voice quality became to be pool.

I find a blog about how to record high quality UM greeting , hoping it can help you. But I do not find where the personal greeting is stored in of UM server. So I suggest you post the question to Exchange UM forum that you can get more help.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrunifiedmessaging/threads

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean_Xiao Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sean_Xiao Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:57 AM
  • Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I opened a support case with Microsoft about this issue exactly.  They basically said it was "operating as designed" and kind of blamed the headset I was using (even though it also does it with our Polycom CX600 deskphones as well).  They did acknowledge that is was a compatibility issue and said they would submit it to their development team.  Case number was  114081211697186 if anyone with Microsoft is interested.

The only workaround we have (if you can call it a workaround) is to tell users to have the Voicemail system call you (via the Exchange OWA options page) on a phone that is not on the Lync system and then record the greeting from that phone.  So we have a few old analog phones that we keep around pretty much only for this reason.

I also spent a bunch of time trying to figure out where exactly Exchange saves the personal greeting in hopes I could access them directly.  I got the impression from Microsoft that they are stored in the users mailbox but I could not locate them in any of the hidden folders using MFCMAPI

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:26 PM