Anyway That I can Track HP Laptop Serial Numbers? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just installed and am learning SCE and the boss wanted to see if we could track serial numbers for our HP laptops. I looked in the catalog for the Managment Packs and see HP servers listed which we will be using in the future.

We would also want to track HP desktop information. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In this case, you need to contact HP manufacturer to check appropriate MP. You can get some additional information for your hardware from manufacturer specific MPs that vendor company create for SCE.

HTH.

Monday, October 6, 2008 2:33 AM
  •  

Lautermilch,

I owe you an apology - the value the Essentials is reporting is Win32_OperatingSystem SerialNumber which is the Operating system product serial identification number.

You are looking for Win32_BIOS SerialNumber, but Essentials does not collect this by default.

-- Richard

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:38 PM

All replies

• You can view it in the Monitoring Space, Discovered Inventory view – changing the Target Type to ‘Windows Operating System' to see if serial numbers show up.

If not, you need to contact HP manufacturer to see if any applicable MP at their side.

HTH.

Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:17 AM
  • I meant the hardware serial number was was not clear in my post.

Jie-Feng Ren - MSFT wrote:

You can view it in the Monitoring Space, Discovered Inventory view – changing the Target Type to ‘Windows Operating System' to see if serial numbers show up.

If not, you need to contact HP manufacturer to see if any applicable MP at their side.

HTH.

Friday, October 3, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

In this case, you need to contact HP manufacturer to check appropriate MP. You can get some additional information for your hardware from manufacturer specific MPs that vendor company create for SCE.

HTH.

Monday, October 6, 2008 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

Even though the target type is "Windows Operating System", the information displayed is the hardware serial number.

Hardware manufacturers typically expose this information via the Win32_BIOS SerialNumber property, and it is this value that Essentials is reporting.

-- Richard 

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 5:08 PM
  •  

Lautermilch,

I owe you an apology - the value the Essentials is reporting is Win32_OperatingSystem SerialNumber which is the Operating system product serial identification number.

You are looking for Win32_BIOS SerialNumber, but Essentials does not collect this by default.

-- Richard

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 9:38 PM