Resource Mailboxes and Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm starting to create a bunch of resource mailboxes for our conference rooms.  Along with having autobooking enabled I'd also like to give everyone review/read access to the calendars?  Is this possible?  Can I do it via Powershell?  Or can I do it from within the resource mailbox itself?  Is it possible to give read access only to a group to view a resource mailbox's calendar?
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If it's Exchange 2007, you can't do that by using powershell which is by design. If it's Exchange 2010, that is feasible by using Add-MailboxFolderPermission.

Thanks

Allen

• Marked as answer by Allen Song Friday, June 4, 2010 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

The only possible way with Exchange 2K7 is to login into the resource-mailbox and manualy set the rights to the calendar like you used to do it with a user.

Its just not possible with PS or Console.

There are some resources on the internet that could help you with writing a script to change/remove/add permissions on a Calendar through webservices.
    But that will take time.

Greetzz,

Timmy

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:08 PM

All replies

• Yes, it is only possible via Powershell, look after creating resource mailbox.You need to check either they are autoaccept agent mode of Autoupdate.

because all resource mailboxes should be in Autoaccept mode then only you can use them for Autoacceptance.

let me know if you still have same issue .

Thanks

Amit Rawat

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:23 PM
  • I know how to setup the resource mailbox to autoaccept.  That's not my question.  I'd like users in my environment to be able to open and view the calendars for these resource mailboxes.  I want them to have read only access to just the calendar; not the entire mailbox. 
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hi,

What's the version of the Exchange server? If not Exchange 2010, you can only grant the permission to all the users under Outlook or PFDAVAdmin. It's not supported to grant the permission to the group in PFDAVAdmin or Outlook. Moreover, the Powershell doesn't have the feature to grant the permission for certain folder.

Thanks

Allen

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:15 AM
  • Hmm,

Sorry, i couldn't read your question carefully.

Going forward, do one thing, login for your reasource mailbox in outlook (this is what i have done) and then got to

Toolo->Option->Calendar->Freee/busy option->select publishing author and grant read permission to anonymous.

Thanks

Amit Rawat

• Proposed as answer by akothari Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:07 AM
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:59 AM
  • The version is Exchange 2007.  I don't want them to have full mailbox access; just read only on the resource mailbox calendar.
    Friday, May 28, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

That's not supported to grant the permission to a group. You can only do that one by one.

Thanks

Allen

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Allen is absulutely right,

This is only way.

Thanks

Monday, May 31, 2010 7:44 PM
  • What would be the powershell command to grant read only access to just thr resource mailbox's calendar?  Or is this not an option?  Do I have to give them read only to the entire mailbox when all I want them to have is read only on the calendar?  That doesn't make sense.
    Monday, May 31, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

If it's Exchange 2007, you can't do that by using powershell which is by design. If it's Exchange 2010, that is feasible by using Add-MailboxFolderPermission.

Thanks

Allen

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

The only possible way with Exchange 2K7 is to login into the resource-mailbox and manualy set the rights to the calendar like you used to do it with a user.

There are some resources on the internet that could help you with writing a script to change/remove/add permissions on a Calendar through webservices.
    But that will take time.

Greetzz,

Timmy

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe not.

http://gsexdev.blogspot.com/2009/04/add-delegates-to-mailbox-with.html

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Right mjolinor,

And off course Scripting.

I made a Script with a .dll from that glen dude to change/add/remove calendar permissions via webservices.
    But its custom made...

Greetzz,

Timmy

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:00 PM
  • grant full access permission to the resource calendar in question.

open outlook and configure to access the mailbox with that email of the resource calendar.

once configured in outlook 2010, go to calendar > right click that resource calendar > select permissions and grant appropriate read permissions for anonymous.

test it and if everything working fine then you can remove the full access permission if required.

Thanks to Amit Rawat for the clue.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:16 AM
  • I'm starting to create a bunch of resource mailboxes for our conference rooms.  Along with having autobooking enabled I'd also like to give everyone review/read access to the calendars?  Is this possible?  Can I do it via Powershell?  Or can I do it from within the resource mailbox itself?  Is it possible to give read access only to a group to view a resource mailbox's calendar?

Hey Chaz !

Did you get this query answer or not??

Thanks

Amit Rawat

Friday, April 29, 2011 2:32 PM