none
Where is the Bit Locker Key RRS feed

• Question

• I am locked out of my computer and it is asking for my BitLocker Key. I had Best Buy set it but they do not know anything about the key. My online profile with Microsoft through which I got my WindowsPro software also does not display my key, but it does indicate the computer registered under the software. Not sure where else I can find the key. I cannot get through anyone at Microsoft and the online service request is going to cost $500. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there a number I can call to get my key?

Saturday, June 4, 2016 7:41 PM

Answers

• If you do not have the key or recovery code your data is forever gone.  You can re-install the OS but forget about the data.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, June 5, 2016 12:18 AM
  • Hi I need BitLocker Help,

To get a better support, please share us more details of the issue.
    What is the present version you are using? How did you configure the Bitlocker?

When we enabled Bitlocker, we will be notified to save the "recovery key" to an external media.

If that recovery key is no longer available, I am afraid we have to format the drive. If there is important data saved in the drive, we`d better to ask for help from the data recovery support.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:27 AM

All replies

• BitLocker is not available on XP.  Try a forum for your OS.

Did you google "bitlocker recovery"?

Saturday, June 4, 2016 7:46 PM
  • If you don't have important data on Drive C:\ and other encrypted drives you can reinstall the OS
    • Edited by GodByte Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:03 PM
    Saturday, June 4, 2016 10:02 PM
  • If you do not have the key or recovery code your data is forever gone.  You can re-install the OS but forget about the data.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, June 5, 2016 12:18 AM
  • Hi I need BitLocker Help,

To get a better support, please share us more details of the issue.
    What is the present version you are using? How did you configure the Bitlocker?

When we enabled Bitlocker, we will be notified to save the "recovery key" to an external media.

If that recovery key is no longer available, I am afraid we have to format the drive. If there is important data saved in the drive, we`d better to ask for help from the data recovery support.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:27 AM