Microsoft's Windows 10 Malware RRS feed

• Question

• How do I remove the various upgrade reminder, "your Windows 10 upgrade is ready", "Schedule your upgrade (no way to close this, can't even kill the task)"... on about 30 machines... PERMANENTLY?

MICROSOFT:  You need to release a "hotfix" to undo the damage... I've wasted WAY too much time chasing this.

(awesome job, Guys, as always)

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suppose you could get rid of "Get Windows 10".
    I've modified Registry and removed the upgrade reminder for Windows 10.

I'd like to recommend you to modify Registry, if you would hesitate.

1) run "regedit.exe"

2) go to:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
        change the value of AllowOSUpgrade to 0(zero)

2) go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX

If "GWX" does not exist, create "GWX" key.
        Create "DisableGWX" key (DWORD) under "GWX" and set the value to "1".

3) Restart Windows.

For further detail, please refer to:
    How to block Windows 10 upgrades on your business network (and at home, too)

Regards.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:08 AM
  • Hi RickG2014

According to your description, if you have pro or upper edition of Windows and want to close the upgrade remind, we could try the GP option by pressing “ Win + R “ and type “ gpedit.msc “ in the search box. To find Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update, click the “ Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update “ and enable it.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suppose you could get rid of "Get Windows 10".
    I've modified Registry and removed the upgrade reminder for Windows 10.

I'd like to recommend you to modify Registry, if you would hesitate.

1) run "regedit.exe"

2) go to:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
        change the value of AllowOSUpgrade to 0(zero)

2) go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX

If "GWX" does not exist, create "GWX" key.
        Create "DisableGWX" key (DWORD) under "GWX" and set the value to "1".

3) Restart Windows.

For further detail, please refer to:
    How to block Windows 10 upgrades on your business network (and at home, too)

Regards.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 1:08 AM
  • Hi RickG2014

According to your description, if you have pro or upper edition of Windows and want to close the upgrade remind, we could try the GP option by pressing “ Win + R “ and type “ gpedit.msc “ in the search box. To find Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Update, click the “ Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update “ and enable it.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:42 AM